Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, June 30, 2022

Yippee for Me!

 I fixed my dishwasher yesterday!

About four months ago my dishwasher flooded the kitchen and left a pool of water in the basement. Initially I was going to have someone look at it, then thought about it being ten years old and did I want to put money into it and perhaps find out it wasn't worth trying to fix, if it wasn't a clog. I also don't like this dishwasher all that much. I know, it's a dishwasher, but.... anyway. So, I hand washed dishes and looked up new dishwashers and had a price shock. Then...the refrigerator quit on us, causing an appliance expense I wasn't anticipating. So, I washed dishes by hand. I had a couple of rough days this week and didn't keep up dishwashing duty. Yesterday I came out of my fog and saw the entire island covered in dirty dinnerware and cutlery. Lots of glassware and cups. It spilled into the sink and onto the stainless steel prep table. The stove top was full of pots and pans. The enormity of what was in front of me compelled me to get down on the floor, dismantle the inner workings of a dishwasher, clean the filter, reassemble and do a test run with rinse only. It worked! I gratefully loaded that thing up and pressed start, then stayed in the kitchen just incase it was pulling my leg. Success! 

My back protested loudly, but it seemed a small price to pay for getting my hands out of dishwater and once again having a counter free of dishes. Without a place to put used dishes they pile up on the counter pretty darn fast, especially when you eat three meals a day at home. I'm quite pleased with myself!

On another note; it rained early this morning, big thunderous rain. We are terribly dry, brown grass dry. I don't know how much we got, not enough to leave puddles in the driveway, but enough to make everything wet. Unfortunately it will be 90 and very humid, without a breeze. The horses, nor I, enjoy that.


I'll leave you with some roses.

10 comments:

Boud said...

Well done on the dishwasher repair. Quite a triumph.

Sandra said...

Thank you. My muddled brain kept me from it, I knew I could do it, I'm a handy person who isn't typically daunted by things like this. I'm glad I had a moment of clarity. I really was over washing dishes!

julochka said...

yay for being able to fix the dishwasher!! boo for appliance manufacturers that make them so they don't last like they should.

Sandra said...

I agree with that, julochka. They are made to last 8-10 years, and they are expensive. It was just a clogged filter but getting to it is a journey!

Lori Skoog said...

I am so impressed! We don't even have a dishwasher and Gary hand washes everything. Can't even imagine trying to figure it out. It was 91 here this afternoon and will be hotter and muggier tomorrow. Rebel and Seamus will be hanging out by a fan. What do you do with your horse when it gets like this? Our barn stays quite a bit cooler than it is outside and there are not bugs bothering them. Feel free to send us some cooler weather.

Sandra said...

It will be cooler tomorrow, but not that cool. I'm sorry to tell you, but we don't have cool weather for the first half of July according to my weather app. My horses are on pasture during the day. They have trees for shade and it been breezy to windy. They handle it well and then they come into the barn where it is cooler. It it's really high humidity they come in early. I've had a dishwasher for over 40 years, I got tired of washing dishes by hand and having dirty dishes in the sink or on the counter. I'm not good at washing them after every meal, probably because I didn't have to. I do hand wash stemware. Seamus and Rebel are lucky boys!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Pretty roses! Way to go being the repair person! Hope it keeps working! :)

Sandra said...

Thank you. I do too. It seems the filter was clogged.

Val Ewing said...

You are rather talented to be able to fix mechanical things. I have no such talent. I have to call for a repair. If it is a machine, it is hands off for me. However, I can make good fences!

Your roses are lovely. I really wish I had more flower gardens in my yard. I've always wanted roses and lilacs and gobs more of cool things.

I get totally wicked and grumpy if we have lots of dirty dishes. It would be only my fault as we don't have a dish washer. We have such a small house we never had space for it.

You are awesome.

Sandra said...

Why thank you, Val! It really was just the filter Several of my flower beds have been lost to grass taking over. The past 5 years I have not been functioning as well as I had been. I've finally accepted things are what they are. I cannot make a fence!