Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, April 11, 2022

Yesterday's visit with the son went ok. We do not have a close relationship, we are probably both to blame for that. Sometimes things just are as they are and this I have come to accept is one of those things. His life in general seems stable and I think content. That is good for a mother to know. 

I did not make soup as planned. I just didn't feel like it. Instead I made hot ham and havarti cheese on kaiser rolls with a green salad. That was a good choice, no real effort in that. I hadn't an idea for dinner so I took half of the sausage I planned to use for the soup and made a red sauce with it. I have begun to greatly appreciate made-in-advance meals. 
I don't think the younger generation eat much of this kind of food, the food I grew up with. I know Thai has been popular. I made a Thai curry a couple of years ago and it isn't too strong to say I hated it. I found I cannot stand coconut milk! We basically eat Americana and Italian American. I did learn technique in the French style by cooking my way, sort of, through Le Cordon Bleu at Home thirty-five years ago, but French cuisine has become too fussy for me now.


I made the soup I planned for yesterday as today's lunch. Much better to do when I wasn't feeling anxious. It's a nice sunny day, too bad it won't last long. The next four days are expected to be rain and then snow. Monday is my laundry day, but other than that I'm taking it easy. I suppose I should get back to it. If you read this, be well. Be content. Eat what makes you happy.



4 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Since we live so far from fast food and town we most always eat at home. We do order a Pizza and pick it up about every two weeks. We make freezer meals of things we like the most so we always have something to heat up. Chili, soups, chicken and noodles, lasagna etc...I am so not a fancy cook:)

Sandra said...

I learned fancy cooking in my 30s. Life on this horse farm knocked that out of me! Now it's pretty basic stuff and has been for a long time. It's good food. I should do the freezer meals. Just a few for back up. It's a good idea.

Bohemian said...

Relationships can be complicated and remaining Close to Adult Children and Adult Grandchildren can be difficult, since most lead their own busy lives and I totally understand and it's as it should be. I do know people whose Adult Children are exceedingly close and they spend a lot of time together and I do imagine that is Special if you have that kind of a closer dynamic. I just don't, I know the Kiddos all Love us, but they are doing Life and so we don't get together much at all. The ones we are living with Multigenerationally of coarse we see every day and so there's been a lot of Together Time. But, once they move away, not so much. When The Young Prince and Allen lived in Washington, we only heard from them every so often, like all the other Adult Kids and Adult Grandkids... the Book of Faces is my 'Contact' place with them all.

Sandra said...

Yes, they move on. It reminds me of Harry Chapin's song Cat in the Cradle.