Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, November 27, 2022

My daughter-in-law and granddoggie, Homer. He is the sweetest little guy.


We had a very nice day with them for Mark's birthday. The son made steak with a beurre rouge sauce, roasted potatoes and a delicious spinach salad. Topped off with Dutch apple pie! It was a beautiful day in the mid-fifties with lots of sunshine and no wind. The weather gods looked kindly upon Mark on his day. I held Homer for a long time and got to see Murphy the cat. He had shown up in our barn winter of 2012. He spent the winter and early spring with us. I had a house cat that would not tolerate other cats, all the dogs I wanted to have were fine by her. No Cats! He is the sweetest laid back fellow and I didn't think he would survive outside life so I gave him to my mother. When she died Matthew took him. Big old love bug.

Mark will be taking advantage of the moderate weather today and tomorrow to spread manure. Yep, life on the animal farm. What goes in, must come out. What comes out, must be spread. It's a cycle. We have half a turkey left so I'll take the meat off and make stock with the bones. That will be my day. Better than hauling manure.


12 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Homer is such a cutie! Glad you had a nice lunch with your son and family....sounds like a delicious meal. Does Mark clean all those stalls for your everyday? He must be a saint!!!

Sandra said...

He does. He was raised on a dairy farm, so he isn’t put off by the work. He’s no saint but he is a good guy. He can drive me crazy but I can do the same to him, so I guess we are even!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad to read about the family birthday celebration for Mark and that meal really sounded good right down to the apple pie! And, turkey soup is in our future this week as well because the small turkey breast will make a small batch.

Boud said...

I'm glad the day went so well. Your son's been wanting to see you, so I expect he was happy, too. That was a great meal.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes better than hauling manure! Homer looks like a real cutie! I am glad you had a fun day out!

Sandra said...

Beatrice, there are benefits to having a professional in the family! We had a small turkey but 12lbs is still a lot, so it will make a bit of soup.

Sandra said...

Boud, it was a very nice day. Food and company were good.

Sandra said...

Fare Side, Mark tried to teach me to drive the tractor many years ago. I wouldn't learn. I knew his wily ways, spreading manure would have become my job! Homer is a real cutie.

Val Ewing said...

Looks like you had a fine day! How nice! Nice to see a good photo of Homer too!

Wow. Someone who can cook is always a delight to visit!
I just read your comment about learning to drive a tractor..I am with you!
I can drive and operate our skid steer, but I absolutely hate running that machine.

Pixie said...

What a cutie. Is that the same dog who was where the spiky coat to protect him from birds? I just looked back over your blog and he is the same dog.

That's nice that you had a lovely meal with your son and his wife.

As for manure, it happens and we all need it.

Sandra said...

Val, I was the main user of the skid steer before my physical issues but I wasn’t going to have manure spreading. Be my job!! My son spent 25 years in fine dining and for several years was Sous Chef to a James Beard Award winning chef. Now he wants a more relaxed atmosphere if there is such a thing in a professional kitchen.

Sandra said...

Yep, Pixie. Goth Homer! Manure does happen. Around here it happens a lot!!