Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

A Come to Sandra Conversation


We have a neighbor who was a professional baseball player. He bought land and built a house 15-20 years ago. We don't interact with him, or is it he doesn't interact with us? He called me about a dozen years ago, wanting to buy my land. Very friendly. There is a large brick house down the hill  from my west pasture that butts up to my land that he was wanting to buy. But only with my land included. Nope. He couldn't understand why I wouldn't sell the bulk of my property, which is all fenced pasture land. I asked him where he thought my horses would go? When he realized he wasn't getting what he wanted I never heard from him again. Fast forward to yesterday. My phone rings, don't recognize the number. Then Mark's phone rings with the same number. Then I get a voice mail. He's back. Said he saw a large tree down in the yard and to call him. I don't like him much after that first interaction  and I can let it show in my voice a little too easily, so Mark called him and I listened. Just what I thought. Saw the tree, assumed it hit the house. No, it was felled last winter and there hasn't been time to cut it up. Oh. So, you know the properties that have been sold around here lately? Yep. So, the tree didn't damage the house, are you living in the house? (I told Mark the place looks abandoned). Have you thought about selling? Nope. He approached it a couple more times and then the conversation ended.

He looked at a place he sees as abandoned and was looking to pick it up on the cheap, put a little into and sell for a lot. Mark got a talking to after that. I know it's a lot and we are dependent on another person, but I want this cleaned up. Long grass, a falling down fence, a huge tree laying in front of the house and to top it off... mailbox that had been hit by a plow and is well-tilted forward. Mark gets focused on one thing and can't be moved from it. Lopping saplings. Necessary but there needs to be room for someone else's priorities. To his credit, he looked sheepish. Now let's see how this plays out. He doesn't want to ask the son for help. We will see. I did come out of my stupor!!

Other than this, all is well. 


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first reaction..the guy is a jerk! Someone who is " entitled." Second reaction ick!
Take Care,
Kaye

Sandra said...

Kaye, a common trait among the wealthy...entitlement. I had a very wealthy breeding client who kept his mare with me. The arrogance poured off him. Of course, I enjoyed stepping on that ego any chance I got. He didn't pay any more than anyone else, although he tried to get me to take more, no. I enjoyed telling him no. His girlfriend told me she had never heard anyone tell him no, ever.

Val Ewing said...

Ugh. But, asking for help might the thing to do. I have had to ask for some.
SD's hubby was here Monday taking inventory of our tractors and asking me how much did I think they were worth? [I think he believes he will inherit them?] I told him to come to the auction and bid on them or give me an offer now.
He shut up but kept poking around in the sheds.

I know it must bother you to have the place looking less then ship shape. Can the work be hired out just this once maybe?

I am biting the bullet and asking for some hired help.

Boud said...

I think you've assessed this situation accurately. Yes, at least the tree and the grass need attention. You're right, a place quickly
looks rundown with trees lying around! Can you simply hire it out? A one time thing? Because you're worth it?

Lori Skoog said...

I get it. It would drive me nuts waiting for that neighbor to fix the tractor/lawn tractor. Especially since mowing is something you can do. We are at a point where we need help once in awhile and are fortunate to have our daughter and her family nearby. Have you had any more talks with your neighbor? Maybe he can loan you a mower until he fixes yours....OR....Just pay someone to mow it and then it will be easier for you to maintain. There is nothing wrong with asking for help when you need it. I happen to love to mow and would do your place in a heartbeat if I lived closer. Your home is gorgeous and so are your barns and ponies. It sounds like Mark got the message.

Sandra said...

Val, he's not so subtle, is he!
Mark told me he would cut up most of the tree this weekend. The large chainsaw is needed for the big part of the trunk.

Sandra said...

Boud, Mark can do the tree, he just has been using the chainsaw as an excuse. He got the message.

Sandra said...

Lori, it is driving me nuts. My son will help if I make a point of it. He's busy with life. I like mowing, too. It's my peaceful time. Thoughts can appear from nowhere! I don't really have anyone to ask about mowing, paid or not. Mark did get the message!