Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, October 24, 2024

Hello Thursday

Wednesday was a mild, sunny day. Perfect for working outside. I did not work outside. Instead, I puttered around in the house, accomplishing small things needing doing but things which could wait. Minnesota has a long winter. I have months to putter. Today. Today I will go out. I will. Truly.

One of the things I did was make an apple galette, with phyllo dough instead of pastry dough. The phyllo dough has been in the freezer for too long and the apples were beginning to attract fruit flies. I'll need to come up with something for the remainder of the phyllo. I think I can do that. I do like to bake but rarely do. I'm going to try making lavender and lemon cordial with erythritol. I like cordial in sparkling water but the sugar content is really high and I need to watch my glucose level. I found several recipes using erythritol to make sugar syrup. I wasn't sure that would work but I guess it does. I'll find out.


That's life on the farm. Horses are behaving, cats are cats, hay is being delivered and Mark and I are chugging along. And....we have desert.

13 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your galette looks yummy. I have apples too...I will probably make a crisp!

Anvilcloud said...

Having dessert is the main thing.

Boud said...

That dessert looks excellent. You could make savory bits with the rest of the dough. Triangles wrapped around feta cheese. Posh.

Sandra said...

I like the sound of apple crisp, Far Side. I go for easy these days.

Sandra said...

Desert is a rarity around here, AC. Mark was delighted!

Sandra said...

Thanks, Boud. I have feta, a good idea.

Val Ewing said...

I puttered also. I didn't intend to clean house and do laundry, but I had to wait for a Medication order that had to be signed for.
I made cherry jello for our desert! Someone has got it bad for jello. What he wants he gets.
Good on your hay delivery. Does that cover the winter?
LOL I loved the reaction Mark had about painting the tree.
Before I had my trees cut down, I spray painted surprised and horrified face emojis on them with yellow spray paint.
The tree dude said at least he knew which trees to take down.

Have a good day. Send me desserts....
:)

Rita said...

That looks just delicious! Shouldn't feel guilty about not making it outside. Sounds like it was a veery good day. :)

Sandra said...

What he wants is very easy to make. There is that! Mark is worried, maybe too strong a word, that I will actually do it. I just may.

I need a couple more hay racks of squares then I'm good to winter. My round bales aren't here yet.
If I could send dessert, I would!

Sandra said...

I don't feel so much guilty as I feel I'm wasting valuable outside time, Rita. It's cloudy and chilly today, which is not helping my blah about doing work out there.

CheerfulMonk said...

That pie is making me hungry!

Lori Skoog said...

Good idea to use the Phyllo and it looks delicious! So did you get outside? In the low 50s here today and down in the 30s tonight! Yikes.

e said...

That looks lovely!