Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, July 29, 2022

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

It really is! It comes to a halt starting tomorrow but we have had a few gorgeous days to enjoy. There's been some deck lounging around here. Some wine has been involved, but it's social hour after all. I've been telling myself to enjoy life when I can and for once in my life I am listening.

Mark has had a week of unhappy news. First, an aunt by marriage and someone he really likes fell last week and broke a bunch of bones. She spent the week in hospital and is now in a care facility. It's going to be a long rehab, very long. Mark's uncle, who was a triplet, died about three years ago. The next bad news is the wife of a cousin Mark is close to had gall bladder surgery and ended up with sepsis. She's very ill. This is devastating news for the family. 

These events, along with our own health issues are spurring me to pull out of my malaise. Life isn't getting any longer and living it in a dark cloud isn't adding a thing to anyone or thing. It's not simple to change but it sure won't change if I don't put in the effort. This simple task of purposely sitting at my desk, writing anything at all, even if it's just about last night's dinner, is helping me. It's structure and my damaged brain does well with structure. I'm happy I made the decision to start up again and that there are a small group of people I interact with. It is beneficial in its way. 

With that said, last night's dinner😄......



Everywhere I look there is zucchini. Stuffed with Italian sausage, wild and brown rice and some feta. A friend sent me a recipe for ravioli made with zucchini instead of pasta. I'll probably give it a try, as I am overrun with them. Next will be tomatoes, but those I roast and freeze when I feel overwhelmed by them.

That's about all for the daily ramble. Ciao Bella Mia.

8 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Your stuffed zucchini looks delicious! What's that saucy looking stuff on the very top? I need to make a zucchini pie tonight and I'm totally out of gas. Life is what you make it, and it's so nice that you are pulling out of your funk. Putting in the effort makes all the difference and it seems to me that you are doing more and more each day. I love your writing (I say that all the time), your cooking and your photographs and your critters! I need to see some photos of your horses!

Sandra said...

It's shredded cheese and olive oil. I'd get photos of the horses but my mobility still isn't very good. I have an appointment next month with pain management. I have lots of photos but they aren't recent. It's a struggle for me but I'm trying. Some days are better than others. I think I may also be feeling the effects of a really screwed up country. I think we all have collective depression over that. Do you have to make the pie? If not, don't.

Boud said...

Very sorry about all the bad news but I take my hat off to your attitude of well, let's deal with it. Yes!! Your blog has become one I look forward to, interesting, animals, gardening and food pictures. I'm glad you revived it.

Sandra said...

Thank you! It's been good for me, I enjoy reconnecting to the bloggers I knew in the past and the new people I have met, like you. I learn many things. I have A Month in the Country reserved in ebook from the library. I told you I'd look into it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Bad news seems to come in bunches. Your plate is very pretty! :)

Sandra said...

It seems to, Far Side. Thank you, it was good.

Val Ewing said...

Sorry for all the bad news. But I have to say your food presentations are divine. My plates look like I threw food from first base to the outfield.

You have a great weekend.

Sandra said...

HA! Val, that is the best description ever! It's hit or miss around here.