Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, December 17, 2022

Books. Cats.

We finished the remaining stew at lunch with a bit of the spelt bread. It was a little sparse on potatoes and carrots, but still good on a winter day.


It's going to be cold for a couple of weeks, with highs a few days in the minus. Lots of comfort food days ahead. I got a library card in August and use it for ebooks and audiobooks. I saw I have read or listened to 32 books since then. I started the 33rd yesterday evening. I don't know why I bought these books for years. I just never thought about borrowing them. It took me a long time but I did learn. 

We have a very friendly, young orange tabby coming around in the evening. He's intact, in good shape and very affectionate. He wants to come in until he sees Keetah. He sits on the veranda, looking in through the french doors, mewing. I've been leaving the screen door to the adjacent porch ajar for him in the evening. There's food, water and cushioned furniture for him if he wants it. I need to get a photo of him to post on a local neighborhood site to see if he belongs to someone or if he was dumped. I can't keep him because Keetah likes her two cats. That's it. At the very least I'll have him neutered. He is the friendliest cat I've met. Living in the country brings so many cats to my life. Most are feral, hang out in the hayloft where it's warm, eat cat food and then either move on or become somethings dinner. If I get the chance to tame them I have them altered through a program for strays. This fellow needs a home.

Ok, I'm caffeinated and motivated (sorta) to do something with this day. Stay warm, fed and content.

10 comments:

Boud said...

It's possible this cat already has a home, and he's doing that timeshare thing that cats sometimes do, getting the comforts of more than one home. My mother had a cat for years that we found out also lived in another house. She found out when she was talking to the other neighbor and they saw him. Each of them thought he was out hunting, moorland area, when he was at the other house.

Sandra said...

It is possible. He is in good shape, it's just that this isn't an area where people take care of cats. If I see him tonight I'll take a photo and ask if anyone knows him. He's such a sweet, if I didn't have the German Shedder I'd keep him.

e said...

I have one of those orange fellows, so worth it to find him a home if you cannot keep him. Maybe your vet knows of a potential adopter.

Sandra said...

e, the orangies are friendly. I have one in the barn, he's known a crabby tabby because he's a grump. My son has one that showed up here years ago that was probably dumped. My dog scares him, my house cats are curious. I'd keep him if I just had the cats, these cats are open to other cats.

Pixie said...

A cat with balls, how odd:) Hopefully he finds his home. I didn't think people still dumped cats; that sickens me. Your stew looks quite tasty. I'm tempted to make one, I'm just not much of a fan of red meat.

Sandra said...

Pixie, I think it still happens. Maybe not as much but people persuade themselves the cat will be fine, there is a barn.

Make chicken stew. Or meatless stew.

Pixie said...

That's too funny, I did end up making chicken stew. It was very good. I've never made it before.

Sandra said...

Pixie, that is funny!

Val Ewing said...

MMM. I made chicken soup and added winter squash to it along with dried mushrooms and leeks. More forest food. It was not too bad.
Hah! I actually cooked!

We have a black cat that wanders through a few times a day. I doubt it has a home. I think my previous neighbor tossed his/her cats out the door when he left this summer.
We often see the cat dragging off parts of rabbits. Not a friendly one at all, though.

Sandra said...

We were all on the comfort food page, Val!

Lots of cats pass through here. I feel sad for them. They find shelter and food here. This guy is or was someones cat. Neutering costs a lot and because of the number of tame male cats I've had here I think the kitten grew up, is perhaps spraying in the house and they get rid of it.