Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, December 3, 2022

Brrrrr


Bill came over yesterday to help get round bales out to the equines. This is my Jeep, or was my Jeep. We gave it to Bill earlier this year and he's finally driving it. It needed a new radiator and a couple of other things I don't remember. Bill is a mechanic so he was able to do the work himself. He does so much for us. His SUV was falling apart, we had a vehicle we did not need which he could use, so we gave it to him. He resisted at first but realized we were thanking him for being him. I rarely saw it clean. It looks nice




The equines enjoy new bales.


It's a cold day; 1 F with a -14 F feels like. Mark has the tank heater plugged into the truck with plans to pick up a pallet of wood pellets. The stove has been working well so he feels safe buying a ton of pellets. He needs to put diesel in the truck, which is like taking a second mortgage.

I'm going to attempt to finish winterizing, since it is obviously winter, folks. Mark just came in with the weather report for the barn. 37 degrees and all the outside water tanks are fine. All is well.

I guess that's it from this patch of earth. I need to get those pellets ordered so he has something to pick up or he could become a mite upset. 

10 comments:

Boud said...

When we lived in Wisconsin we eventually bought a car, and wondered, we temperate climate folks, why it had an electric outlet on the front! Seasoned people explained it!

Sandra said...

It would seem odd if you weren't accustomed to it! A tank heater is a blessing with a diesel engine. It was a bit nippy this morning.

Far Side of Fifty said...

It was downright cold here this morning. Double brrr! Glad the pellet stove works so well now!! That is cozy heat! How nice that your neighbor helps you and you help him! :)

Sandra said...

Far Side, he does a lot for us. He needed a different vehicle and we didn’t need three. It worked out well. It was cold. Tomorrow will be warmer. I am soooo happy the stove is working.

Val Ewing said...

Yep sound brrrrr-y if that is even a word.

That is a nice Jeep! I sold my Liberty cheaply to a friend who had a daughter that was 16. Sort of like driving a tank.

I was sort of wishing we still did round bales in a way. But I wouldn't get out to enjoy the weather now would I?

I know that the wind chill is fierce.
Stay warm.

Sandra said...

Brrrrry sounds like a word to me, Val! It is a nice Jeep. No rust, runs great, nice interior and only about 150,000 miles. It’s a ‘97 so that’s not bad. The work it needed was of minimal cost for Bill since he could do it himself. I’m pleased he took it.

I’ve used round bales in the winter since 2014. My hay guy was short on squares so I took round bales so I’d have enough sqs. I didn’t like the idea of them because I thought they were dust and moldy. Not if they are done right and Bob does them right. I appreciate the ease of just putting them out in the morning. I don’t think you need to worry about getting out! You and Charlie are explorers.

Pixie said...

That's a nice looking Jeep. Your neighbor is lucky and handy; he sounds like a good sort.

Sandra said...

He is a good guy and has done a lot for us, Pixie.

Anonymous said...

37paddington:
Winter has truly arrived where you are. I love the neighborliness in your corner if the world. We drive the same model jeep!

Sandra said...

paddington, I think your Jeep is probably newer. Actually, this is a very closed community. They barely like each other, much less "outsiders"! Which is what makes Bill special. He took us under his wing years ago, which then brought in his large extended family who all live in the same area. We love Bill.