Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, February 25, 2024

Raccoons and other Stuff

 

Good morning. I could say good morning sunshine, because the sun is shining. Mark and I have both been having sinus problems. So has Neighbor Bill. I kind of think it's because we haven't had a winter at all and all those spores, or whatever you call them, haven't been killed by the cold. It makes for some miserable days, that's all I will say!

My thrice delayed birthday gathering with the son and his wife is on  for the ninth of March. Unless something happens. Which is always a possibility. Life is, as per usual, filled with cat and horse shenanigans, along with the capers of a raccoon who has made this his (?) home for three winters now. He is nonplussed by human, cat or horse presence, gleefully filling his belly with cat food and foraging along the aisle. His coat is beautiful and his weight is plump. The cats and horses don't think anything of his presence, he's part of the menagerie. Mark gave him the original name of Rocky and the fella looks up when he hears the name. I never thought we would have a raccoon.

I think I'm off to make a lentil and sausage soup. I've been under the weather for several days, with no desire to do any cooking. Lunch has been coming from the deli. I have the stock and sausage so I need to use it or lose it.


14 comments:

Boud said...

That sounds like a good soup I should investigate. I have sausage and lentils, red and brown. Sorry you're under the weather, but the soup should help.

Pixie said...

I know raccoons are a nuisance but I have to say, I love them. Apparently raccoons are smarter than cats or dogs and rate just under monkeys for intelligence. No wonder they cause so many problems:)

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Sandra said...

Boud, I made so much half of it went to the freezer! I got carried away. It is good stuff.

Sandra said...

Pixie, Rocky is a pest, he digs along the stall walls in the aisle, leaving gaps along the way. We've got a raccoon whether we want one or not. He finds a way into the barn when it's shut up tight, so no stopping him. We wouldn't harm him, so we have a raccoon. They are scary smart.

Anvilcloud said...

I had a scary moment or two with raccoons when I visited my daughter in Vancouver. One was observed form afar, think goodness. A lady and her dog were being chased along a city street by a raccoon.

Val Ewing said...

I don't care much for raccoon, but that is me.

Funny that you have one that is not bothered by people.
I've live trapped them and had them removed.

I hope your sinuses really clear up. For a while, mine were crazy!

Tomorrow, we may be up to 70 and then Tuesday we will have sleet and snow!
Go figure.

Ami said...

What, no pictures of Rocky? I admit to being a bit disappointed.
Hope you are feeling better soon. I'm so excited for the end of winter, just tired of rain and gray and wind and rain and gray. And wind. With rain. And gray skies.

Sandra said...

AC, they can be aggressive. I wouldn't want to tangle with one. This was a youngster when he started helping himself to cat food. That's why he is ok around the cats and horses.

Sandra said...

Val, I've always kind of liked them, from afar. This was a young one three years ago. He kind of grew up with cats and horses and seeing people. I inherited sinus problems from my mother. This has been a bad year. We are going to be 60 today! Crazy.

Sandra said...

Ami, sorry, I don't have a photo of him. What's wrong with me? :)
This is the winter that wasn't here. It's difficult to look forward to summer. The last several years have been unbearably humid.

Anonymous said...

I have looked after several raccoons over the years. One, I called Min, would come when I called, I left food for it. It only had three legs. It disappeared after several years.
I hope you feel better.
Take Care,
Kaye

Sandra said...

Kaye, that it lived several years with only three legs is amazing. I would imagine your feeding it had a lot to do with it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

A raccoon they can be nasty, hope yours stays nice:)

Sandra said...

Far Side, this one was an older baby when it started showing up. It doesn't show any aggression.