Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, July 10, 2023

Sunday Sunshine

I actually got about an hour on the small deck yesterday afternoon.


It was a beautiful day. Mild and not humid with a good breeze. The flies were around but the breeze was a nice stiff one, so they mostly left me alone. The filtered light on the plants looked soft and welcoming. I enjoyed it till the breeze went away. I then also went away.

I didn't do anything I had planned doing yesterday. Mark had tennis on all afternoon, so I went in another room and finished my book. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. One of the most banned authors Toni Morrison. There was a protest at a small book store in one of the western suburbs of Minneapolis. The reason? A drag queen was reading during story time. I read the reasons why certain people are finding this so upsetting on the Nextdoor app. It makes me want to cry. When my boy was little we lived in the Wedge, an area in Minneapolis that was artsy. There was a restaurant we would go to, he was maybe six, that the queens liked to hangout in. He had a fun time, they were so friendly.....and guess what? He didn't have any damage from frequent exposure to people who caused no harm. There is a need to keep as many people as possible frothing at the mouth about something. Sad thing is, it works.

Today I will be lying low. 92F and humid, no oven on today. Then it becomes more reasonable for the rest of the week. At least the weather will be more reasonable.

10 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I wonder if the book store did more business or less? It takes all kind of people to make the world go round:)

Boud said...

Funny that kind harmless people did no harm to your little boy! That sounds like a lovely interlude on the deck.

Sandra said...

Far Side, I don't know. There were people in the store. It does take all kinds to make the world go round. ALL kinds.

Sandra said...

Boud, I know. I worked at an inner city hospital in the 70s. Almost the entire male working population were gay. It was a great working environment, I wasn't harassed by men! I had a lot of good friends during that time.

There will be no deck interlude today, steamy.

Val Ewing said...

If Drag Queens are so terrible, then they should ban Clowns too. They are far more scary!

I will see if I can read that book, I want to see what the fuss was about.

Sandra said...

Right? Whoever thought clowns are funny!

Toni Morrison writes about race bluntly. There is also sexual references in her books in how it's connected to humanity, gender and race.

Haddock said...

Nothing like the sunlight falling on the plants.

Sandra said...

Haddock, no there is not! Thanks for stopping by.

Barwitzki said...

I looked it up... it's Toni Morrison's debut work and 20 years later she won the Nobel Prize.
I wish you a nice day... it's already evening for me.

Sandra said...

Viola, yes it was her first book. She won the Pulitzer for Beloved. I have been listening to her books. She reads them herself.

It’s a nice sunny day. I wish it would rain. Good evening to you.