Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, July 3, 2023

Too Hot


How we handle excessive heat on the farm.






I've given up trying to keep cats off the dining room table. They see it as a never used flat surface perfect for lounging. I can't really argue with this logic, as it is a never used flat surface perfect for lounging. Since it's mirrored I assume they also enjoy gazing upon themselves.

It's been very hot. We have hovered close to 90F for what seems forever. Today will be in the 90s and once again very humid. It's so dry I have mown the lawn only once and it's July. I saw video of flooding in Chicago. One place gets too much and another gets none.

I plan to grill ribs, sweet corn and make tarragon potato salad tomorrow. Our two person July 4th shindig. It's so dry I hope there aren't fire works. Even if it weren't dry, I wish that tradition would cease. I'm just a bundle of joy this morning! I think I need some toast.


12 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

There is that chair again! We have two and one needs to be repaired....the string in the leather has disappeared. I am trying to send you rain....Val too. We are getting more today and it's so muggy I got soaked when I was in the barn, I would love your 4th of July meal...yum.

Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Sandra said...

Lori, I know this is weird, but when I came back to blogger and saw you on my blog role what I remembered was your Wassily chair! I think you have an Eames chair, too. I had the opportunity to have two, but didn't want to spend that much. I did regret it! It doesn't look comfortable but it is good for my back. We have a chance of rain tomorrow,, but those chances never seem to happen. I really like potato salad made with tarragon, vinegar and mayo.

julochka said...

Oh, maybe I'll grill some ribs and make some potato salad for the 4th tomorrow. I tried to convince my colleagues that it was a holiday and they accused that of being the most American thing to say - assuming our holiday was a holiday everywhere. I was kidding. And they knew it.

Sandra said...

They are right, though! Ribs and potato salad are good foo matter the holiday or lack of a holiday!

Anonymous said...

The Cats have the right idea to take a Siesta during the heat of the day. Your shindig is my idea of celebrating just enough... Dawn the Bohemian

Sandra said...

They have the right idea for sure, Dawn. No hope of you having my small shindig!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy 4th! Hope you get some rain soon!

Sandra said...

Thanks, Far Side. We need it.

Pixie said...

It was so hot here last week that I worried the cat was dying, she wasn't moving. Turns out she was just hot. Glad you had some rain:)

Sandra said...

It's been an awful summer, Pixie. The cats layabout all day long. They have the right idea. We could use an all day soaker, but having something makes me happy.