Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, January 8, 2024

Cats and Other Bits

Frieda gave the drawer a thorough inspection. She gave it her approval.


Too cool for you. But I'll take the comfort.
 

The two outside boys are back to their pre-Keetah days, spending most of their time inside. Eating and sleeping. Eating Frieda's expensive food. So delicious. They both love making bread and have some wicked claws, so that's a problem. I don't clip outside kitties claws, they need those hooks, but....ouch! The four of them will be nine this year. 

My back is starting to settle down into its normal dull ache. It's been about a month. Nursing a back becomes a dull way to live. I'm so grateful for the digital library. I started reading Maid, by Stephanie Land yesterday. I'm already interested. Tina Fey's book, Bossypants, was a very good comedic read. Or I should say, listen. I've been known to be a bossypants myself.

It's been so long since we have seen the sun I almost don't believe there is one. January is usually bright sun and frigid cold. Not so far this year on both counts. I know in winter sunshine and cold are connected, so I'm conflicted. The sun could just play a little peek-a-boo.

16 comments:

Boud said...

I remember in our earliest days in Wisconsin finding I needed sunglasses, in winter, because of the glare of sun on snow. Coming from a lifetime of grey winter days, it was amazing. I finally realized why people skiing in Switzerland wear wraparound sunnies.

You're nice to remember the outside cats need alk the claw they can get. They'll shed by scratching on trees when they need a manicure.

Far Side of Fifty said...

There is a sun, we are not seeing it most days either. It will blind you when it comes out, we are headed for the deep freeze soon.
Back pain is the pits...hope you improve soon.

Sandra said...

Sunglasses are mandatory equipment in winter, as you found out, Boud! Yes, outside kitties nee the full claw. These boys aren't furniture catchers but both love to knead. That's problematic.

Sandra said...

Far Side, it will blind me, it's been a long time. We are also heading into the deep freeze, you will likely be even colder than down here. BRRRRRR

Val Ewing said...

We will finally get a taste of winter here this week also with temps below zero I think.
I'm kind of excited about it.
I know, not right in the head!

Lori Skoog said...

Our sun has disappeared again... you're not alone. Hey! I can leave a comment tonight! So glad that your back has improved....I know the feeling.

Anonymous said...

I am glad your back is feeling better. It must feel liberating. Just don't get too "liberated" yet.
Nice to see photos of your outdoor cats relaxing and taking it easy.
Snow storms are lined up and heading my way. Yes, I know we need the water but please not as much snow as last winter that is all I am asking.
Take Care,
Kaye

Bohemian said...

Sorry the Back Agony has remained, even a normal dull ache sucks. I'm lately had Muscle Pain for no apparent reason... or mebbe there is one that I just can't recall doing anything that should cause such Ache in my Biceps especially? *LOL* Cats always look so damned comfy where ever they park themselves.

Sandra said...

Val, there are two groups of northerners, those who hate winter and those who like winter. You and I fall into the second group.

Sandra said...

Lori, I'm glad you can comment again! Still dreary today and cold.

Sandra said...

Kaye, may you have enough to replenish the water and less than last year! Those boys know comfort when they feel it. I will be sure to be only slightly liberated!

Sandra said...

Dawn, I've had back issues on and off throughout my life but the past 4 years have been rough. You probably did something you didn't realize would cause muscle pain. I'm partially responsible for this latest flair up. Cats know how to live!

julochka said...

I love to see Frieda! I can't believe the cats are 9! How did that happen? Time flies by way too fast!

We've had really cold temps and a big load of snow last week - but it's now hovering around 32 and all beginning to thaw. It's helped so much with everything all white - it makes it much lighter and more bearable and I'm not looking forward to it going back to the dreary grey plus loads of mud.

Sandra said...

julochka, you named Frieda! I know, I thought about that, too. nine, what? The snow does help, it's been so grey and miserable without it. Your snow photos are beautiful.

e said...

I am glad your back is marginally better. I hope the sun peeks out for you too.

Sandra said...

No sun today, e. Hopefully no tornado for you.