Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, September 27, 2010

Morning Guest

Look who came to visit yesterday morning. Someone must have told him fleas are on the menu.
I have seen a Pileated Woodpecker only a handful of times in my life and all of those sightings have been since I have lived in this house. It is hard to realize how large they are from the photo, but they are big. I took the photo through the window and when I tried to sneak outside, off he went!

I am hopeful my flea control marathon is over. I fogged once more yesterday, as well as applied Frontline to the dogs and cat. I learned a hard lesson about the less expensive topical control products. They do not work. Had I spent the money in the beginning I likely would have saved myself a lot of effort and cash in the end. Of course, Woody could have come for breakfast a couple of weeks ago.

If I have indeed conquered the flea, I will be back online on a regular basis. Fall is in the air, lots of projects need doing, but after the past week, I think I can do my daily work and talk to my blogging friends. Whodda thought I had it in me. ☼

A busy morning ahead. The farrier as well as the equine dentist will be here. Ever see money fly? It will be today on the farm! But these guys are an important part of the horse care equation. So with a tentative smile on my face, I will greet the first (hopefully) flea-free day in a couple of weeks and get to it.

I hope your day is a good one.




14 comments:

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Seeing Woody Woodpecker is definately a thrill. I hear them (here, at home in mass) when I am in the woods, but it's been a few years since I have seeen one! Such a cool bird!

Flea free is awesome! Enjoy YOUR day!

Unknown said...

first sighting was years ago at a cottage in Cape Cod.

great picture.

and fingers crossed for flea freedom.

Jill said...

Great photo! It is hard to get a picture of one of those guys! If they do not fly away, then they just scoot around the tree so that you can't see them. Glad your fleas are on the decline.

Ganeida said...

I sincerely hope you can manage both your work & your on~line chatting so I can get over feeling abanoned. ☺ As for the woodpecker ~ I am charmed. Are they rare ~ or just not usual in your neck of the woods?

Missy said...

I sometimes want to put Frontline on my Kids. Just in case...

Elizabeth said...

Sigh. I've squashed a few fleas today while sitting on the couch in our living room. Our dog still has them despite numerous flea baths at the groomer's, Frontline, Advantage, you name it. I haven't sprayed because I hate to spray -- especially given my daughter's neurological issues and her sensitivities. And then I think that if I spray or fog, how long will that really last?

What to do?

Sandra said...

gsc, they seem prehistoric to me. I think I may be without fleas!

deb, I'm now dreaming of a cottage in Cape Cod.

Jill, I wish I could have been outside, but it was too wily for me!

Ganeida, they aren't rare, but they are at risk. I think that mostly they spend their time in the woods, so when they occasionally come out, it is a rare sighting. You are not abandoned, I am just tired.

Missy, if I had been sipping coffee while reading this, it would have sprayed my screen!

Elizabeth, other than what I did, I don't know what to do. They are such prolific breeders. I understand the concern about the chemicals. I feel poisoned. My animals and I are toxic.

Lorac said...

He is a hansdsome bird! I have only seen one and they are bigger than you would think. Glad to hear you are flealess once more!

Deb said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deb said...

How big was woody? Do you have to worry about him making holes on your house? We have to watch for woodpecker doing that to our cabins...but have never seen any large woodpeckers here. Glad to hear you'll be back writing again. Blessings!

Deb said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sandra said...

Lorac, they are big and startling. I hope I'm flea free. I'll breath a sigh of relief after about a week.

Deb, you post posted three times, so I removed two of them.

They are about the size of a very large crow and with more wingspan. I'm not feeling well today, so I'm trying to lay low. Too much stress and poison I think.

Ganeida said...

Feel better soon. Will say a little prayer for you. [feel relatively safe doing that from the other side of the world] ♥

Sandra said...

Thanks Ganeida. I have asthma and the chemicals and stress got to me a little. I'll be OK.