Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, October 3, 2008

Pizza, Wine and Sarah

So last evening after watering and checking the horses for the last time I lit a fire in the fireplace and sat down in my old lady recliner with a margherita pizza and a bottle of bordeaux. I was settling in to watch the VP debate with some anticipation. Mark plays tennis on Thursday nights, so I had the place to myself.
I will preface my comments with disclosure. I am progressive in my politics and life views, so I am not unbiased but I am a critical audience. I expected to have a lot to say at the TV, instead I spent the evening squirming in my chair. I've heard the accounts of the evening from the pundits and I don't know what they were watching but it's not what I was seeing. Sarah Palin made me squirm for several reasons; She was robotic, until the final 20 - 30 minutes, she was repeating rote statements sometimes accompanied with a wink or a nod and she really never answered the question. I honestly have never seen anything quite like this. I felt sorry for her, not angry. I also felt sorry for Joe Biden and Gwen Iffell (sp?) for the tough spot they were in. If Sarah Palin were a man or Hillary Clinton she wouldn't have been given such a huge pass on this. 
I can't work up a rant. And I'm not at all surprised that the talking heads are all saying she did better than expected, as not much was expected of her. The bar is so low here one can barely slip a feather under it.
I had a night to sleep on this and I still don't know what to say, other than is this the best John McCain could do? Have people become so accustomed to being spoon fed homilies they can't discern substance?  A quick line and a wink seems easily substituted for a reasoned, thoughtful response, maybe a response that doesn't sound as if it's being read from a cue card. OK, I'm done because I'm just going to ramble incoherently, sort of like what I saw last night. 

2 comments:

Ashley Dumas said...

I have to agree with you whole heartedly. When you use words like 'evil' 'good guy' and 'bad guy' in a political debate, there is not much use argueing with the person. It was really an awful debacle on her side IMO but noone seems to notice. Remember whose footsteps she is following. Bush, as an Orator extroidinaire (not ; ) did not seem to put people off with his unintelligible and embarrassing speeches so maybe the US public does not care. Maybe they are looking for charisma or someone as clueless as they are. Who knows? Oh well I am glad that I saw it on a live stream last night and I plan to follow things like in the future now that I know how to watch live broadcasts on the internet!!! Yea!!

bye for now

Ash

Sandra said...

I believe and I hope I'm correct, that the public has been ahead of the curve on this. The pundits will say whatever can keep the 24 hour news cycle moving, so we can't be surprised that they say how well she did and that the debate ended in a tie. Rudy Guilianni said this morning that he thought this was the best debate performance he has ever seen. That harkens me back to Dubya's speech after 9/11/01 when a pundit called his speech 'Churchillian'. There is never a shortage of hyperbole!
I hope we, as a country, are ready to have an intelligent adult at the helm. Please let this be so.