Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, April 12, 2024

A Photo Says it All

Miss Havisham comes to mind.


Yes, I have no shame.
This morning while in the kitchen I happened to look up. The sun was shining and something became quite visible to me. I'm not showing this photo simply to point out the chandelier needs some attention. Seeing this brings home how many different ways one is affected by aging. What once was just another task becomes something akin to climbing Everest. Now I'm writing like a Dickens character. A very few short years ago it would not have looked like this. Ah, well....I will get it done. On a side - I bought this chandelier in an antique shop in the '70s. My father wired it and it's been in use since, moving from home to home with me. It's not showing in the photo, but its crystals twinkle even when dirty. I don't do fussy but this light fixture caught my eye and kept it.

I have been doing the overnight fermenting method with bread dough lately. I've done it on and off but am wired inpatient, so I did not like to wait. I've changed my mind. A world of difference in the crumb. Earlier in the week I made a light caraway rye, so good. I mixed dough yesterday for a spelt loaf. It will be formed, proof, and then be in the oven this afternoon. The whole grains make a dense bread, a long ferment opens the texture. I'm anxious to see how this one comes out. 

Yep, Miss Havisham meets Bread Woman. 


14 comments:

Boud said...

Sunlight annoyingly highlights features you'd rather not notice. Most people don't look up though, so there's that.

My bread recipes can wait overnight after rising, in the fridge, but I can't say I've noticed a lot of difference. Maybe different grains, though. Mostly whole wheat and oats.

Val Ewing said...

I had to laugh but in a very good way as this happened to me on a sunny morning with the light hanging over the table.
What a great book that I need to go back and read.

What a beautiful chandelier.

Sandra said...

Boud, I hadn't noticed until this morning. By the look of it, it's been like this for awhile.

I leave it at room temperature about 20 hrs. I don't know if oats makes a difference. I also don't know how chickpea flour rises. Those could have something to do with the difference.

Sandra said...

Val, that dang sunshine! I think I need to revisit Great Expectations, also.

Thank you. I have always liked it. Not too large or too gaudy.

Anvilcloud said...

Yes, little tasks seem bigger now.

Sandra said...

AC, they do.

Lori Skoog said...

Do what you can do and don't worry about it. You sure are a master bread maker!

The Happy Whisk said...

I love doing long ferments. I'll also ferment a day or two in the fridge. Neat that the light has come with you from home to home.

Far Side of Fifty said...

The bread sounds wonderful and those cobwebs can show up overnight!

Sandra said...

Lori, it's not in my nature to not worry about it I just throw water, flour, salt and yeast together!

Sandra said...

Ivy, I've done pizza dough in the refrigerator. The light is old and valued by me, so it will stay with me until I'm toes up!

Sandra said...

Far Side, the spelt bread turned out very well, I am pleased. I'd rather think they showed up overnight than I didn't notice them for a year!

The Happy Whisk said...

Same though with pizza dough I also do 50g balls for small hand-pies or mini pizzas. Then leave the rest in until I need it. Already balled and ready. It's wonderful and the longer ferment to me, better taste.

Miss Merry said...

I love your chandy!!!
Lately I have been lamenting my bookshelves. I have a wall of floor to ceiling shelves. In the old days (before 2020) I used to take a whole day in the spring and empty the shelves, then wash every single shelf, sorting books while they dried. I would reshelve with fiction alphabetical by author, then finishing with non fiction by subject.
Now I am afraid to climb the ladder.
I am glad my eyes are blurry to go with my old body so I can't see how bad the top shelves really are.