Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Dogs

Yes, I have dogs! This is Grace, a five year-old Greyhound. She doesn't like the camera, so it's hard to get a good photo of her. She is quite the personality and a great trouble-maker! Life wouldn't be the same without her.


Nine year-old Atlas, the big dog. He also dislikes the camera, so he won't look at me. He is a very neurotic Afghan Hound/German Shepherd cross who has been a challenge, but also a comfort. He is big, which doesn't show in the photo, and I used to be alone a lot so it has been nice to have him around. 

The most wonderful dog in the world, our Yellow Lab Bill. Bill is a force of nature, still going strong at almost 15. He was known, not always affectionately, as 'Wild Bill' and he can still have his moments. He's my best dog, my barn manager and an old, faithful friend.

 
My 'Little Bundle of Cuteness' Howard. He was tired! Howard is a year old Basset Hound and our spoiled baby. We think everything he does is cute!


On alert




and on the scent. Scent hounds are a big challenge because they can't ignore their nose. When the nose is engaged, the ears don't work! And, the nose is always engaged.

2 comments:

Ashley Dumas said...

What wonderful Dogs! Your Bassett is really adorable. Once I found two Blue Tick Hound puppies on the side of the road and we took them in. We ended up having to find a home for them on a large farm because their noses did not seem to allow them to think of much else! : ) They were really beautiful but our small home and yard was not a great home for them. I hear that Rosie and Sarah are doing great at the farm. Looks like you have plenty of room for the big guys to get plenty of excercise : ) Thanks for sharing the pics!

Ash

Sandra said...

Who would leave puppies by the side of the road? Gladly you were there to pick them up.
I couldn't handle TWO scent hounds, as Howard is hard enough to watch. He has to be under constant supervision or he disappears. We sure do like the little ball of fur and skin, though! We had a Golden Retriever for many years. His name was Chris and he was the absolute nicest, most docile dog I have ever known. If I had time to take care of the hair coat, I would have another. Your dog is young, but she will probably be the nicest dog ever, also.