Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, September 7, 2008

MARES!

We are taking Zing for his first lesson with Bill tomorrow and he was in bad need of a bath. So, after Kristina rode him this late afternoon we decided to walk him to the wash bay and give him a scrubbing. My wash area is the old milk house of the dairy barn that is now my horse barn. There is a short, narrow aisle leading to the room with stalls on either side, both occupied by mares. As luck would have it, Zing and I had nearly entered the room when Ally noticed STALLION! Nose to the wall she called to him with tail up and the signal flashing. Zing lost all thought of a bath. So, he got a cold bath outside and it served him right. Of course the girls out there had to come to see him get a cold soaking, but it didn't take too long for the cold water to temper his ardor! 

Now, if only he will load into the trailer without trouble...........

2 comments:

Ashley Dumas said...

Wow. Never a dull moment it seems : ) Are you actively breeding horses? Do you sell the foals? Just wondering.

BTW Sienna loved the pictures of, I think it is, Shaka.
The pretty white horse. She also want a basset hound now ! (good grief : )

Sandra said...

I have stopped breeding my own mares. The horse market is very flat due to the poor economy. There are people who still buy and breed, but the pool is small and the options available is large. My mares are getting old and so am I, so we'll see what happens, but I may be retired as a breeder, but not as a stallion owner. They are fertile and ready to do their job!

Bassets are lovely dogs, but so are Goldens. I never knew a nicer dog than our Golden. I understand Sienna, though. I always want one of everything! She is a wise child if she admires Shaka, he is worthy of admiration, or from his perspective, adulation. : )