Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, September 5, 2008

Hoary Allysum

My three-year-olds must have found some in the pasture, although I walked it and can't find any. The filly has swollen hind legs and the gelding is swollen all the way up on all four legs. I've not had this before, but I was pretty sure what was wrong. I had the vet out to be sure and she feels they got into it. It's also possible that they got it in the hay since I can't find any sign of it, but it would be odd it was only in their hay. I think it's more likely they were grazing together and came upon a patch and ate it.
There is never a dull moment when you have lots of horses. 

2 comments:

JeanRDH said...

I have heard much about it, but never experienced it myself. Here's hoping it was an isolated incident for them, and the stocking up just temporary!

Sandra said...

Zenny looked like a monster! His legs, all four, where like fat sausages. He is better today, there is some definition to his legs. They aren't sick, just swollen. I looked again and I can't find any evidence of it, so they must have eaten it down.
We've had two dry summers and Hoary Allysum likes drought, so I wasn't surprised when I saw them stocked up, I felt that was the cause. But I had the vet out just incase I was wrong. May your pastures and hay be free of it!