Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Brining and Other Things

I look at Frieda and realize she is my doppelganger in feline form. 


 I do love this very odd little cat.

We have tropical weather for a couple more days. I wish we would get the rain that happens in the tropics. I'm going to make fermented pickles today. Bill brought me some larger pickling cukes, he likes them smaller. The larger ones are perfect for fermentation. Bill finds my pickling process all wrong and there is no way to convince him brined pickling is as old as time. So I don't try. I simply happily take the cukes and smile.

I suddenly have quite a few eggplant so I think eggplant soup will be happening when it cools down a bit. I have froze a small bag according to instructions I found online. I will take some out to see if it works as said. If it does, that will be great! Multiple sites told me I could freeze my pickles last year. Um, that didn't work.

Anyway....all is quiet on my front, which is a good thing. I think I'll go pester the cat.

10 comments:

Boud said...

Pestering the cat is a nice reversal of the usual order of things.

Sandra said...

Boud, you are funny!

julochka said...

I'm so glad you love Frieda. Those torties are special. I don't have eggplants yet (I started them a bit late), but I bought two at the store and I'm making eggplant parmesan for dinner! I grated a zucchini into it. I have a lot of zucchini, so it's currently going into everything.

The Happy Whisk said...

Eggplant soup? Count me in, please. I love, love, love eggplant. Never had it in soup. Now you got me thinking I would love to make a tomato-based soup with eggplant. Oh my yum. I'm gonna try that.

Thank you for the kind comment about Miss Wiggy. She's having a good day today.

Sandra said...

julochka, Frieda is an unusual girl! She was meant to be mine. I think I'll make a pasta sauce with the purple cherry tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant and garlic tonight. No fresh mozzarella in the house at the moment.

Sandra said...

Ami, I roast an eggplant cut in half, tomatoes, an onion and garlic. It goes into a stock, chicken or vegetable and simmers a bit. Then the veg goes into a blender or food processor with some of the stock. Put it back into the pot. I add cream but it's good without. Crumble goat cheese onto when served.

I'm happy to hear she's having a good day.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hope you are staying cool, it is humid as heck up here today:(

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I too had never heard of eggplant soup, so glad you provided details on how it's prepared, Sandra. WHile I may not try to make it anytime soon, it's nice to know another use for this versatile veggie. Do let us know how the soup turned out even if we can't all sample it.

Sandra said...

Far Side, it’s horrible. Hot and humid. I will be very happy to see the end of this summer.

Sandra said...

Beatrice, it’s very good. I always freeze at least one batch of the roasted vegetables to use in the winter. Good with or without the cream. It will need to cool down before I make it.