Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Waning August Days

I've had a couple of days to sit on the kitchen deck.


It's been beastly hot and is daily creeping up to it again. By Friday we will be once again in the 90sF for at least a week. No rain in sight. I've managed to keep up with the tomatoes. The zucchini looks like it's done. Mark and I are going to undertake the task of emptying the freezer, scraping the frost build-up off and trying to organize it for more space. He needs to help because I cannot reach the bottom of the chest freezer. We call him 'tall boy'!

My son's mother-in-law died peacefully and had a funeral last week. The son told me it's been very difficult and hopes some form of normalcy returns soon. We met them at the wedding, otherwise we had no connection, but the family is very tight and I'm sure this is devastating for them. 

Anyway.....life carries on at this patch of earth. 

6 comments:

Boud said...

The dreaded freezer cleaning! I'm glad you have help.

Sorry about the recent death in the family, extended family. I wonder if your son will get relief from recent sad times with his mil?

Sandra said...

I know, it is for sure dreaded!

No, I doubt he will anytime soon. I don't think he actually believes he will. Wishful thinking. The family is deeply codependent. The father is still alive. This will be a long haul. We are removed from it, other than knowing how it is. I'm here for support of the son, but otherwise we stay clear.

Val Ewing said...

UGGG to cleaning freezers! At least the one in the basement I can just open the door and turn it off ... it drains out into the floor drain.
The one in the shed? I should clean it out and get rid of it.

It will take time the MIL's family to work out the healing. I'm not even sure I said that correctly.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I practically have to stand on my head to reach the bottom of my freezer. It is an awful job that I do just before we move for the winter. I am freezing whole tomatoes now...just the small yellow pear ones, once the season is done i will make it into sauce for soup.
Stay cool!
Sorry about your son's Mother In law. Every family grieves differently. There is no right or wrong.
I know it really helped me when we finally got my Father's cremains into the cemetery...final finally.

Sandra said...

You said it right, Val. It will. They are very tight and she was their center.

Sandra said...

Far Side, I was talked into a chest freezer, I'd had an upright. But I went along with it and have regretted it. I'm too short and I have my father's short arms to boot. I have no room for whole tomatoes at this point, I'm overflowing!

Yes, every family is different. These are really close knit and she was the center of it. I assume it will be hard for some time.