Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Tropics


I have very little to say, except.....it is HOT. We had a feels like temperature of 111F yesterday, an 80 degree dew point. Right now at 8:30 AM it's 82F with a dew point of 77 degrees. I live in Minnesota, not Florida. We are not used to this and I don't want to get used to it. I'd say it's the 'new normal' but I don't think there is a normal anymore.

I got that off my sagging chest. The mini fridge is working well. I'm really pleased with it. The freezer works! It's now filled with pestos and herbs. So, even while living in hades there are some good things.

Bill brought me a large box of wild plums. Thirty years I've lived here and I did not know wild plums are all around me. There were 14 cups of plums in the box, all are in the freezer. I don't make jam or jelly, I don't use it, but I will make a galette or two with them.


I spent a few days preserving. Lots of tomatoes have been used, both roasted and as pesto. I really like the pesto made with fresh tomatoes. Thank you Giada. Thank you Grandma for instilling the instinct to preserve food into me. I hope it's not a dying skill.


Now, The CoverBoy. He must show up here at least once a week or his pride is hurt. He is a very skilled snoozer. Such a lucky fellow he is. Mostly, we are lucky to have him. Mostly.


That's the story today. Temperatures are supposed to drop to the 80s, rah rah, after today's hell. Probably still humid. Just call me Little Miss Suzy Sunshine.

12 comments:

Boud said...

After we had a spell of hot weather, when it dropped to the 80s, I made soup!

Wild plums! What a score.

Sandra said...

Boud, which is what I plan to do. Make soup, that is!

How have I not known about the wild plums? Better late than never. Even better Bill picked them.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yeah for plums! I hope I find some to make some jam! Stay cool! I just in from mowing weeds:)

Anonymous said...

When I heard the tempts in MN, I was stunned, it is not the MN of yesteryear. This world in so many ways is becoming a very frightening place. The weather and scary politicians, I want to be hopeful but...

I would love to see a photo of the inside of your new refrigerator.
I am sure it is colorful filled with all your pickles and pesto.
Take Care,
Kaye

Val Ewing said...

I just went out tonight at 9:30, it was 90F with 60% humidity. It literally made me cough.
The breezes we had all day are of course gone.
It was 101 on the porch at 1pm. I didn't bother looking later as it is just hot.

Hope you get through this well!

Nice plums! We do have a wild plum tree near by, it produced one plum this year!

:)

e said...

It was 95 in my part of Florida today and it is now 80 at 11 PM. The rain and sundown lowered the temperature but it is still quite humid. Good luck with the plums and give Gatto a scritch.

Sandra said...

Far Side, it must be cooler up there. I'd faint if I tried to mow in in that heat! I am happy with the plums.

Sandra said...

Kaye, it sure isn't the MN I've known. I can't say I have hope, I'm too much of a realist for that. I don't generally dwell, though. I just move through life as best I can. Which isn't always easy.

I'll take a photo of the interior!

Sandra said...

Val, we are getting a break, although it's still crazy humid. Your weather and ours has been the same most of the summer. I had no idea those plums are all around the area.

Sandra said...

e, it isn''t right for us to become Florida! When I live in Atlanta I thought that was awful. Then I met a Floridian who told me it can get worse.

I will give Gatto several scritches.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

In years past, I made basil pesto, but hardly on a large scale as we had a small garden. I can imagine that tomato pesto would be wonderful with not only pasta dishes but many other ones as well. Do you have any planned uses?

Sandra said...

Beatrice, I use it as a sauce, I mix it with tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad. It's good! My herbs grow in pots.