Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, August 11, 2023

Gobble Gobble

"If you don't follow the trends, you can never go out of style. "

From a book I was listening to. I had no idea I am so hip!

Seriously, it makes a lot of sense, in so many ways. I know there are some trends which are fun and you know won't last, but it doesn't matter. Because you like it. Mostly, though, I go my own way. My son repeated back to me a few years ago something I used to say and it stuck with him. Buy well, buy once. This was about furnishings. But it can apply to many things in our life choices. That's it for philosophy today. 

Onto the day....I have chicken stock simmering and cherry tomatoes roasting. Mark made an appointment with his NP next week and is going to ask her if she would be willing to take me on as a patient. I'm ready to jump into the deep end once more.


I had a least thirty turkeys in the yard yesterday. I couldn't fit them all in the photo. They come everyday and each time there's more of them. We are loaded with grasshoppers and that may be why they spend so much time here. I really enjoy seeing them. The cats were mesmerized as they sat on the ledge in the screened porch.

I had an interruption. Bill came by with beans and several large tomatoes. I stopped growing slicing tomatoes because I get so many from Bill I don't need to grow them. Since I started this post I'm now roasting a tray of Romas. I really enjoy this time of summer, when the produce is peaking and I get to preserve my and others labors, as well as enjoying right off the vine.

Life is pretty good on my farm at the moment. We may even get more rain. Oh....Bill said he's got my mower fixed! I'd better buy a lottery ticket.

14 comments:

Boud said...

All this and turkeys, too! Do they make that gobbling sound?

Sandra said...

Boud, yes! The turkeys are a bonus. They do make a sound similar to that. It’s probably as close as a human who doesn’t make bird sounds can get. They also make a noise similar to a wood pecker at a tree but slower. They are definitely communal.

Lori Skoog said...

Woo hooo! A fixed lawn mower and tomatoes!!!

Pixie said...

My tomatoes are starting to ripen. I have one pumpkin that has survived out of all the hand pollinating I've done to that poor plant. My carrots however are amazing this year, finally. Hurray.

When I was a kid we used to go to my friend's uncle's farm and they had a huge, old turkey there. It used to scare the bejesus out of me and would trap us in the hen house.

Val Ewing said...

Congrats on the mower! We have only mowed here ... once a month since Memorial Day. However we had rain last night which was most welcome.

I purchased 2 tomato plants and they actually produced so many that I had to freeze two packages!
I bet the turkeys were fun to see.

Sandra said...

Lori, I know!

Sandra said...

Pixie, they are big and I wouldn't want to tangle with one. I haven't grown carrots. I had a fantastic pumpkin plant in the manure pile where I'd thrown a halloween pumpkin. It seeded itself and when wild!

Sandra said...

Val, I have mowed a total of 3 times, 2 of those were to mow weeds. I've froze a lot of zucchini but not tomatoes yet.

Far Side of Fifty said...

We found that Wild Turkeys are messy and poop all over as they meander through the yard. I think the Coyotes must have gotten most of them or the Wolves because we only have a couple in our area now where we used to have flocks of them:)

Sandra said...

Far Side, I don't care if they make a mess out there, it's unused space. I'm not mowing a lot of to now, it seems silly. I'm going to sow wild flowers there. We used to have a lot of them around and then not. This is the first year they have been back.

The Happy Whisk said...

Yum on the tomatoes roasting. I did that once for salsa. It was sooooo good. Like a grown up salsa, if you will.

Sandra said...

Ivy, that's a good name for it!

The Happy Whisk said...

Thanks!

Sandra said...

😉