Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Walk In The Garden

My garden is my most beautiful masterpiece.
Claude Monet

I love the work of Monet.  There is an ethereal beauty in his paintings that calms me and transports my mind to another place. I can feel the grass under her feet, the sun upon her face. Smell the flowers. Ah, so much better than here.

I am so looking toward spring. I want to till the soil, plant my flowers and put in my first real vegetable garden. I am going to commit myself to this. I have a beautiful home site and I want to cultivate it in the way my mind sees it while I still can. I am fervently hoping for something we have not had for at least a decade; a mild summer with normal rainfall. We Minnesotans have endured a long, hard winter and I believe it would make us a more pleasant people to have a wonderful summer. I know it would do wonders for me.

So, until the snow melts and the mud dries; the grass greens and leaves bud; the flowers bloom and the vegetables sprout, I will satisfy my need for beauty in the art of Monet.

2 comments:

Ganeida said...

I love Monet too & grdening does something for the soul. There's something about digging in rich soil & growing things; edible things are even beter. My kids used to love wandering around the garden nibbling on whaerever they found: snow peas, the first strawberries, beans, cucumbers, mulberries. They're foodies, all of them, so I grew food.

Sandra said...

I've raised a few tomatoes and peppers, but I have never put in a vegetable garden. I grow flowers, but I will also have edibles this year. I'm looking forward to it.