Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, April 6, 2009

Slow-Cooked Eggs

We had a winter day on Sunday, so I decided to make a little brunch.

Easy and good.


Slow-cooking eggs gives them a different consistency, firm, but rich and creamy.
I used what I had on hand.

4 cloves chopped garlic
1/2 small onion, chopped
small bunch of fresh asparagus, cut into pieces
1/2 can petite diced tomatoes, drained
enough oil to coat the pan. (hint: heat pan to hot before putting in the oil. This will prevent sticking)
saute until crisp/tender

thin sliced smoked deli ham, cut into pieces
5 eggs, whisked with a good splash of half & half
a healthy shake of turmeric
add to the sauteed mixture and cook over lowest flame. It takes 30 - 45 minutes to cook through. Leave it along while it cooks. I had some thin sliced sharp cheddar which I cut into pieces and placed on top for the last 5 minutes. A little dollop of light sour cream and it's brunch!

9 comments:

Ganeida said...

Yep, meals like this are very yum. The girls & I would cook like that forever but my Dearest is a plain meat & 3 veg man. UGH!

Grammy Dianne said...

Sandra, looks yummy!

Sandra said...

Ganeida, my husband is basically the same way, but he has to eat what I cook! He could eat steak, mushrooms and potatoes every day.

Dianne, it's great to hear from you. Have you been to Brazil yet, Ashley is so quiet. : )

Just Jules said...

Egg Bake it is called around here.... reminds me of the Holidays

Sandra said...

I don't bake it, it's cooked on the burner at a very low temp. Gives it a different consistency from baked eggs. I make an egg bake during the holiday season too. Very good.

Pattern and Perspective said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Now, I've found yours. My mother had horses when she was a young girl, but then she broke her arm and didn't ride again much. Scared I guess. I think the horse got spooked by something -- a snake? It was the south.

Anyway, I love horses, but I don't ride them. I prefer to just pet them. There's an old man who lives near my bf's cabin who has some little ponies. One of them has hair just like Tina Turner...I just love to go see them. Such honest beautiful creatures.

Yes, I don't come across too many blogs of people from this area, probably because I read the ones overseas a lot...They are so artistic over there.

Sandra said...

Then I think I ran across your blog via julochka's. She is certainly very creative, but she is from the northern tier! I think it's the weather. : )

Jean L. said...

Sandra--You continue to amaze me with your skills at making even simple dishes look and sound so delicious. Making the food is one thing, but arranging it on a plate and photographing it to look so appealing is another. I appreciate how you use a lot of contrasting color. With just two people in the house, I find it difficult to go through much work. I should try harder.

Sandra said...

Thank you Jean! It's really not much work, I gave up on the time-consuming prep long ago. Just a little chop, chop and a whisk. That's it. And then wait while it cooks. I only have two people to feed. I know how hard you work, but everything I put on here is fast and easy.