Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thinks

Thursday's child is full of grace

Water Iris
I was born on a Saturday. Saturday's child works hard for a living. I have no idea if it was destined that this would be true, or if it is purely my own short-sighted choice. But I have worked hard. If I had been born on Thursday, would I be full of grace? 

I have noticed that everything is costing a lot more money. I have purchased flowers the past couple of days and the flat price is quite high. It seems counter-productive to continue to raise prices in an economy that is barely breathing as it is. I know my annual population will be less this year than in the past. Way too much to spend, even though I enjoy being surrounded by blooms. I think we are ass-backwards in handling the economic mess we got ourselves into.

If the tomato plants I put in all produce well, we will be living on a diet of tomatoes. I over did the tomato planting. I have planted garlic and shallots. This is a new thing for me to try and I am looking forward to the results. They are flourishing. Seems a little silly to be so excited about garlic.

Queen, the other half of Homer and Queen at Raders Out Loud posed the question, why blog?  I said I would think about an answer. I lead a somewhat solitary life. I see people, in short spurts, here and there, but most of my days are spent on the farm. I go to the farm supply, the grocery store, the liquor store. I go to the nursery in the spring and I sometimes join a friend for lunch. But most of the time I am here. I am not a withdrawn person, I am a talker, I am opinionated and I have a lot to say, probably because I don't get to say it very often! When I consider why I do it, it seems sort of pathetic, but here it is. It is a way for me to express my thoughts, to sometimes display my efforts, whether gardening, cooking, cleaning a mountain of tack or rejoicing that I actually swept the floor. I realized one day last August that I could start a blog if I wanted to, it was right there and easy to do, so a monster was easily created. I notified a few friends and started typing. I like to take photos and this gives me an opportunity to put them on display, my own personal photography studio! And I really enjoy connecting with people I would never otherwise 'meet'. I do a pretty good job of not being obsessed, which is a concern for my personality type. Anyway, there's the sad truth. I'm not a writer, I'm not a photographer, I'm not interesting or exotic. I'm a reformed horse breeder with a computer and a good camera and no obligation in the evening. And I'm not shy.

I realized at one point during Wednesday afternoon that anyone driving by my place at any given time probably thought they were seeing the dark side of the moon. I was transplanting iris, and as it is easy to plant I would simply bend over to put it into the ground. So my ample bum was facing the road throughout the day. No it was not a total eclipse of the sun. It was a moon.  Bending over with the back end facing the road probably should be illegal.

This is a patchwork of thinks, a collage of rambling musings. If you take anything away from this, let it be, don't moon the road.






9 comments:

Britwife said...

Thanks for the mooning advice.
I was born on a Thursday. I am about as graceful as a cow with a crutch. So that theory is shot in the rear-end.
You'll have to let me know about those shallots! I've never done those. My dad plants the garlic around here - so I steal his. I planted 36 tomato plants. We live on tomatoes too! (Spaghetti sauce and salsa all winter! Yum.)
And once again, I agree with you about the economy. It sucks and it doesn't make sense....

Lorac said...

I agree about the cost of things lately. For awhile everything seemed to be down, now it is spiking back up again, just like the gas. "Road mooning" is a worthy pass time and I fear I am a member of this club too!

Ganeida said...

So don't drive past my place...I'll moon if I want. ;P That Rhyme pings me off; I'm Wednesday so woe is me.

You know if we ran our households the way the governments see fit to run countries we'd be jailed ~ fraud, defamation of character, insolvency, 1/2 a dozen other unsavoury outcomes.

Judy said...

Self expression..is a wonderful thing (now I am saying this in regards to you), Be it your words or your "moon" all is good. I always enjoy reading your blog, it is so cathartic for us girls to share and sometimes rant.

Homer and Queen said...

Hey thanks for the shout out but I'm afraid tha I am just going to have to say...YOU ARE WRONG!!!

You are a beautiful photographer! I look forward to seeing your photos and you are a darn good writer also! I have no idea what day I was born, my Dad used to tell me I was left on the front porch by indians!

Keep blogging girl...we look forward to it...

EveryoneThinksThey'reGoodDrivers said...

I am Saturdays child as well and I would most definitely agree on your theory.

My mooning opportunities are climbing on a horse. Although I would love to garden someday.

Why blog? Why not?! I am no writer or photographer either but it sure gives me practice. And I would disagree, I think you write very well and I love your photos!

Sandra said...

I obviously didn't learn from yesterday, I was once again showing a full moon to the road. That is a cruel punishment to passersby.

36 tomato plants! OMG, I have eight and I think it's a lot. I DO NOT can, so they will need to be consumed when they are available. I'd like to see a cow with a crutch. : )

Everyday fuel prices are climbing. I hear the pundits on TV say that Americans don't want smaller efficient cars. I think they are wrong.

Ganeida, you don't seem woeful, quite the opposite. I have thought lately anyone pulled off the street could do the job better than those doing it now.

Judy, thank you. You must be back from vacation. I like nothing better than a good hissy fit every now and again. Better the blog than those who can't get away from me!

Queen & Jeni, I know nothing about taking photos, but I have a good camera and sometimes some luck. : ) I simply enjoy it, so I take pictures all of the time. I don't have any formal education in anything related to writing, so I am not really a writer, just a hunt & peck typer with a blog. But I do appreciate being appreciated!

My mother always said the milk man left me. Indians are way cooler.

Getting on a horse is a prime mooning opportunity, especially if I am the one attempting it. But even a strong, svelte thing is going to have a good opportunity for it. : 0

Just Jules said...

your irises are amazing! I noticed that about my grocery bill, buying less costing more... really? ugggg

Sandra said...

A lot more. Last time I went, I was shocked. And I feed two people. I can't imagine a family's food bill.