Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Power Of Imagery

I looked for an image of 'Made In America' and the upper image is what I got that wasn't copyrighted.

It bothered me though  and I think I knew why, even as I used it. I remembered this image, but it sat at the back of my mind and tweaked it until I looked for it.

I needed to address it, because that isn't what we need signifying 'Made in America'. It's an image with a horrible history. But I don't think it's an accident that this image exists. No more than the creepy symbolism of naming a Federal department Homeland Security. Sounds a little too close to the Volk. I needed to get this off my chest, as I used an image that I was uncomfortable with from the onset.

No comments: