Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, January 10, 2009

You Say It's Your Birthday.........


Getting old ain't for sissies.
Bette Davis

And that my dear is the truth! In my mind I'm the same person, more or less, that I have always been. Sometimes I am truly startled when I look in the mirror and see an aging person. What the hell happened here! 

You know, when the bloom is still on that rose, it never occurs that you will look like one of those old people. I surely would be different, age gracefully, causing one and all to utter "I never would have guessed her to be that old". Unfortunately, it went the other way! I look older than I am, so I want to know whose bright idea that is. I suppose I have something to do with it, as I very willingly fell into frumpdom, actually I embraced it with wide open arms!

Now there is an advantage to this. I have developed a somewhat 'off' character that I use when it suits me. The slightly odd old lady that can basically say and do what I want without repercussion. It helps when getting pulled over for traffic violations. What is worrisome for me is, I don't have to try too hard to be this character. It helps the image to have a scent surrounding your person that most people find odoriferous. Life in a barn, oh my.

So, I'm a year older, I wish I could say I'm wiser but somehow I doubt it. Just older. Beats the alternative, no doubt.

12 comments:

Ashley Dumas said...

Happy Birthday Sandra!!!


I hope you have a wonderful day!


Your thoughts on growing older are refreshing and realistic and funny : )

Your Friend,

Ash

Sandra said...

If I didn't laugh, I would surely cry!! Thank you for the wishes.

Britwife said...

Happy Birthday!! I hope you get lots of cake - because lets face it, that is the best part of any birthday.
Personally, I prefer to think of us as quirky - not old and cantankerous. Have a great day!

Sandra said...

You haven't met me Britwife. I'm old and cantankerous! I've also become quite fat, so I really should pass on cake. Another aging issue. : (

Hillsidefarm said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm making cupcakes right now - so we'll have to put a candle on one and have it for you!

Beth

Sandra said...

Thank you! Enjoy it as you think of me!

Ganeida said...

Happy Birthday! Definitely have cake. What's the point of being old & cantankerous if you can't have cake on your birthday?;) I've joined frumpdom too. It's easier than trying to look like mutton dressed as lamb & then bleating about it. And you have Gracie home too. lol.

EveryoneThinksThey'reGoodDrivers said...

Happy Birthday Sandra!

I hope you have a great sunny day (looks like you will)!

Sandra said...

Maybe I'll have ice cream! I had a little fun and made you an award. Please collect it. : )

Sandra said...

I am enjoying it by doing as little as possible. : )

I have to go out and move some horses around, though. Playing on a computer all day and I find it fun. Somethings wrong with me!

Grammy Dianne said...

Happy Birthday! I had the momentous "60" last year and really was surprised how non-traumatic it was.

May you have many happy returns of the day.

Dianne

Sandra said...

Thanks Dianne. I have had a lovely day of little work. That's a good day in my book!