Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Crab Cakes

I have made a variation of this for many years. This is something I came up with, so I can't say it is authentic to the coastal region. This is going to be some of this and some of that!

When I felt flush I used lump crab meat, about a pound. Otherwise I use, gasp, canned. 2 - 6 oz cans.
a couple of stalks of celery, chopped fine
medium onion, chopped
bread crumbs, this is something you need to do by feel, not too wet or dry. Start with 1/2 c and work from there.
about 1/2 cup mayonnaise. I actually use Bite Back Tartar Sauce, which has jalapenos  and horse radish. If using mayo, I'd put in some hot pepper sauce, but I like this a little spicy.
when in season I'll add some chives.
        
Saute the onions and celery in olive oil until onions are translucent. Combine in a bowl with crab, bread crumbs, mayo and salt and pepper to taste. If you are using lump crab, stir gently so as to not break up the crab meat.  Form into cakes of the size you wish and put on a baking sheet and chill for at least an hour. From experience, this works best, as it sets the cakes.

Have a dish of flour, a dish of bread crumbs and a bowl of beaten eggs (2-3) Dip the cakes in the egg, coat with flour and then bread crumbs. Put into a hot skillet with oil. I use olive oil because I like it, but vegetable or grape seed would be fine. It doesn't take long for them to brown. Remove to platter when they are browned on each side.

I like the Bite Back sauce, but flavored mayo (lemon, basil, tarragon, etc.) is good. Or regular tartar sauce. Mark eats them without any kind of sauce.

This is good with canned crab, but great with lump crab. Leftovers make a great sandwich for lunch, on a nice roll or a sourdough bread.

So this is a MN crab cake!

8 comments:

EveryoneThinksThey'reGoodDrivers said...

Thanks Sandra! I'll have to try these the next time I go grocery shopping!

Sandra said...

You're welcome.

Britwife said...

Oh yum! We are Catholic, so we do the Fish on Friday thingie during Lent. I am always looking for something new to serve - I will definitely be adding this to one of our menus! Thanks.

Sandra said...

You're welcome. If you can get the crab meat, do. It's really good with that. I always keep canned crab meat on hand, sort of like I do tuna, so it's an easy meal when nothing else seems to suit me. But if you are actually planning crab cakes, go with the real deal. :)

Ashley Dumas said...

Oh this looks delicious! Do you think that I could use lumps of fish instead. We don't see crabs too often but there is tons of really good fish at the markets. There is lots of octopus too but I don't think that Octopus Cakes sound very appetizing: )

I will look for canned crab too. I don't know it it is the markets here but I would love to try these!

Ash

Sandra said...

I think chunks of fish would be great! Canned crab is like canned tuna, nothing like the real thing! You can also make salmon cakes (what I grew up with) or shrimp. I've never used shrimp, but I've seen these ready-made in the store. I think you can add anything you like as long as you have a binding agent.

Ashley Dumas said...

Thanks for the encouragement to improvise! We have a dense white meat fish called Pintado in the markets and it flakes well into chunks. I think it is relatively high fat fish so it would probably hold up pretty well. I think we will try these this weekend. I still have a little wiggle room in the weekly budget ; )!!

Shrimp is also very easy to come by around here. It comes with heads and tails and legs and eye balls so it took me a little while to get used to that : ) but I have prepared them a couple of times.

Off to make breakfast : )

Bye for now,

Ash

Sandra said...

Let me know how the fish cakes are. I think I'll give that a try, but I'll let you experiment!