Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

Edward Kennedy ~ 1932-2009  

For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives and the dream shall never die.
Ted Kennedy

We knew it was coming, but somehow I thought it was not possible, that somehow he would beat the devil and pull through. 
Growing up in America in the 1950's and 1960's and being of Irish heritage put the Kennedy family front in center of our lives. Those of us old enough to know the significance of this family know a deep sense of loss. The country has lost its last strong advocate for the underdog. 

9 comments:

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

A major loss for your country. I so love the words of his that you quote. They made me cry when I heard him utter them at the Dem. Convention last year.

May young new lions dare to step up to the tasks he so bravely took on.

We really are entering a new era without the Kennedy family story as the shakespearian backdrop for America.

Ganeida said...

Yes, I'm old enough to remember the day John Kennedy died ~ & bobby. Hard to believe there is an America without Kennedys.

EveryoneThinksThey'reGoodDrivers said...

I am not old enough to know the Kennedy family the way those do that were around for JFK. However I feel the loss through others. RIP Ted.

Judy said...

Since I moved to Tennessee I have learned that most Southern folks are not fond of the Kennedy's. When asked where I was from I always responded "Massachusetts" (my lack of a southern accent gave me away) and they would respond "Kennedy Country" and NOT in a nice way. I am proud to have lived in Massachusetts and be from Kennedy Country.
R.I.P Senator Edward Kennedy

Sandra said...

It is surely a loss and one we will feel for some time to come.

Ashley Dumas said...

Your tribute is lovely and true. I hope that I am back to blogging now. I miss following you and your horses
and your dogs adventures.
Ash

Sandra said...

Ashley, I am glad you will be getting back to it. : )

Lorac said...

A very sad day. He was a great man.

Sandra said...

I watched the burial last night. I'm glad it was dark so the family had some privacy.