Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Where Has All The Summer Gone

A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken.  
James Dent


It's the middle of August. What happened? But as I write we are headed toward a ninety degree day, with the entire week going in that direction. Summer making its last ditch effort to make me miserable. It is all about me you know! Or rather the cast. I have been in it for a month; a month of relatively mild weather. The heat and humidity causes my arm to swell, creating a stuffed sausage effect in my cast. This is not a happy-making experience. One more week.

So summer slid by as I languished in my cloud of self-pity. I find I do the sad invalid well. I would have never guessed I had it in me, but there it is. Schlepping around in my sweat pants and foam shoes, tousled and unkempt; k'vetching  because I can't do anything, all the while getting used to doing nothing! Oh, oh.

The summer that almost was. 

8 comments:

Judy said...

I just hope you are feeling better....for me it is slow, I am impatience. I will try to venture out for an hour today and see if my legs will hold for that long.Anesthesia has knocked me for a loop. I know I am looking as good as you do, so we are a good pair.

Ganeida said...

One more week! I am so sorry you are miserable. Physical discomfort distress me more than anything because I am forced to pay attention to my body & that is incredibly boring! Liddy thinks I'm strange but she is one of my kinesthetic ones.

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

It is hard to believe it was a month ago that you broke your wrist! Seems like yesterday..just kidding of course. Maybe, just maybe, it was the break you needed to prepare for the long winter ahead. Aren't I just the cheery one today? It will all be over soon and you will be back to normal.

Sandra said...

Judy, when I read you had a 5" scar, I realized you had a big surgery. Hopefully your recovery will be short.

Ganeida, it will be a looooong week!

Alicia, it probably seems like yesterday because I whine about it so much!

Just Jules said...

Oh I feel for you . The cast - that is just yuk! The getting used to not doing anything - oh yeah sister! I 'm there. I mowed the grass last night and realized I hadn't been out in the yard for more then a few minutes at a time. It has been overcast and just plain yuk all summer. Weeds are growing and un whapped, flower beds are weedy, trimming not done, just the bare necessities ... now, it is to be 90 today and I have to hit the packing hard!!!! no chance of heading to the beach the #1 thing I wanted to do all summer. I even blogged about it. Very MNan of me ;)

Oops - guess this comment became all about me.... sorry!

Ashley Dumas said...

Sorry about you awful experience with the broken wrist. Make sure you do all the physical therapy afterwards to make it strong again. Wrists are so delicate and complex. I am sure you will be back at it in no time : )

Hugs,

Ash

Simes. said...

Hey! great pictures, loved your blog. take a look at ours whenever you want, we invite you to follow it.
Love,
A&A

Britwife said...

I've had casts twice in my life...unfortunately BOTH times were in the summer. ITCHY!!

I once broke my foot falling down the basement steps when I was 8 months pregnant. Crutches and a huge belly are not good mates.

I don't envy you in this heat that we are (finally) having. How's the garden going?