Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, August 6, 2009

It's A Jungle Out There

Yesterday evening I got a chance to speak to the people in the polls. The people who want to see reform in our healthcare system, but are satisfied with what they have. People who believe that all of you with universal coverage do not get treated when you get sick. 

My neighbors. Nice people. He has a PhD in something or other. We were outside as they were walking down the road and the subject arose because of my broken wrist. In their opinion, something should be done to contain costs but a public system is too risky. They actually believe you who have government coverage are all dying or at least suffering really bad. I wonder why, if one is to take this belief and run with it, why the natural next step isn't taken. A couple of continents should be doing a very brisk headstone business.

Did I mention he is a PhD? I can only conclude this is willful low information gathering. There is an ideology lurking in there that precludes curiosity.

If you live in the US you would have to be living in a cave not to know about the 'Birthers'. I don't understand the argument. Or rather, I do. Ratings. I suppose I understand why the Obama administration doesn't touch it; bring up the info I have posted below and the crazies will take it as an admission that he's an African Muslim Extremist Terrorist, part of a sleeper cell to take over the good 'ol US of A. Never mind he was born in Hawaii. I suppose there probably are a lot of our citizens who don't know Hawaii is a state. Seriously. My helper Deb tells me the town locals call him a muslin, as in cloth. But they don't know they are calling him cloth. I guess they use a few other words as well. Maybe they think Hawaii is a country. I am a stranger in a strange land.

 Please read this. I learned this in grade school, so I sort of think everyone talking about it day after day knows this to. tsk, tsk.

I think I'll end on this. It's enough.

Natural-born citizen

Who is a natural-born citizen? Who, in other words, is a citizen at birth, such that that person can be a President someday?

The 14th Amendment defines citizenship this way: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside." But even this does not get specific enough. As usual, the Constitution provides the framework for the law, but it is the law that fills in the gaps.

Currently, Title 8 of the U.S. Code fills in those gaps. Section 1401 defines the following as people who are "citizens of the United States at birth:"

  • Anyone born inside the United States *
  • Any Indian or Eskimo born in the United States, provided being a citizen of the U.S. does not impair the person's status as a citizen of the tribe
  • Any one born outside the United States, both of whose parents are citizens of the U.S., as long as one parent has lived in the U.S.
  • Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national
  • Any one born in a U.S. possession, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year
  • Any one found in the U.S. under the age of five, whose parentage cannot be determined, as long as proof of non-citizenship is not provided by age 21
  • Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is an alien and as long as the other parent is a citizen of the U.S. who lived in the U.S. for at least five years (with military and diplomatic service included in this time)
  • A final, historical condition: a person born before 5/24/1934 of an alien father and a U.S. citizen mother who has lived in the U.S.

* There is an exception in the law — the person must be "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States. This would exempt the child of a diplomat, for example, from this provision.

Anyone falling into these categories is considered natural-born, and is eligible to run for President or Vice President. These provisions allow the children of military families to be considered natural-born, for example.

8 comments:

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

What you mention really does baffle my husband and I, as we watch some of your cable newscasts. It really can seem like some are using very primitive reasoning skills. And, as you say are not even prepared to be curious, or gather information or do some research or READ.

One fellow blogger who has a site that highlights her sense of humor, put up a rare serious post urging readers to rally against the health care proposal. But what I found most surprising and offensive was that she had a picture of Obama that portrayed him as a tribal witch doctor with face paint, spear, and limited clothing. This woman too claims to have a few letters after her name. Huh? More than the specific subject you study, university, I thought, teaches us how to think critically, how to ask questions, give consideration to opposing ideas. It seems there is no reasoning with people - their minds are closed and their thinking skills child-like.

This is rather scary for us as we watch. Palin running for US president is a prime example - this would be how to make the US a laughing stock in the world.

There is so much that is great, admirable and exemplary about the US - but the views coming out of some factions in your political system are truly mind-boggling.

Sandra said...

Try living it. When I was in the city I was not as aware of the ignorance. But I am now. My helper tells me the stuff she hears in town and it really shows how bad it is. The really frightening thing, aside from low information voters, is the rabid racism. OMG. I don't live in the sticks either.

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

People with and without their politics confuse and scare me. It's really hard to make sense of things and see/find the truth...

But, alot of truths are right under our noses, and those that waste time and energy misleading others really get my dander up... Even some of the most intelligent, thoughtful people I know and respect think some really really dumb stuff.

Homer and Queen said...

Totally against socialized medicine, not cloth.

Ganeida said...

Well I live in a country with a public health system & it all takes money so ours is in serious disarray at present. Serious overhaul needed but I hate to say it ~ Public or private, people being people there will be major issues. More a case of choose your poison...

Critial thinking should be a compulsory subject as soon as children reach the age of reason! Seriously. I'm still waiting on Ditz [& may be waiting a long time☺] but some of the opinions I see bandied round the net terrify me.

Sandra said...

Well, a public option will soon be our only hope. We are at the point of not being able to absorb anymore premium increases. and will end up with an unmanageable deductible or no insurance at all. If we get the same rate increase as we have for the last 4 yrs. we will pay $1500/mo for crappy insurance. Everyone liking what they have now, your turn is waiting right around the corner.

You know, we have public options already. I wonder why our members of Congress aren't running as fast as they can from there government insurance. The Veteran's Admin is socialized medicine. The Federal gov owns, operates & employs. I don't see anyone clamoring to put the wounded servicemen into private insurance. What would the senior citizens say if you told them they are losing Medicare. There would be a revolution. The VA & Medicare have been underfunded for a number of years, but they worked fine until a political philosophy got in the way.

I wholly admit this is personal for me.

Memories Of Mine said...

Sandra I don't understand why you have no confidence in your country when anyone born to an Alien father and has a US citizen mother can become the president?

People are lazy even smart people with PHD's want other people to do the hard work but they are always happy to reap the rewards. Everyone wants a better system but only a few are prepared to go the extra mile due to laziness or the belief they cant make a difference.

Sandra said...

Liss, I really hope we can get through this. I suppose if I stayed away from news, I would feel better!