Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Days of Future Past

I called this photo 
The Four Mares of the Apocalypse.


They all were in foal, Mama Ellie on the left looked ready to burst. Three Arabians, one Morocco Spotted Horse. Left to right: Forever Elegent, Sun Spot Baby (named for a Bob Seger song) RF Fleetwind and LF Diamond Rose. Circa 1996. All have died, the last was Fleetwind, December 2021. I still have offspring from each of them. Diamond Rose's first foal is now my oldest horse, Tempered Steele, who herself produced a couple of championship foals. A long time ago.

I thought I'd do a little stroll down horsey memory lane this morning. I still have fourteen of the beasties. I'd be living in Grand Marais if I didn't. Some people go south, I would go north.

This is supposedly the last day of tropical weather. By the end of the week we are expecting overnight temperatures around 30F. Rollercoaster ride. If it doesn't rain tonight I'll actually be able to do some mowing tomorrow. Mark has an appointment today with his urologist. I think he sees him every three months. Life in remission. We will take it.


8 comments:

Boud said...

A great trot down equine memory lane! What beautiful horses. Good wishes to Mark and his health findings.

Sandra said...

Boud, lots of memories. All I can say is horses are noble beasts.

Mark's PSA is still good. Sees him in another three months.

e said...

I love horse memories and I am happy for your husband and glad your weather is changing. We have haze and air quality alerts.

Sandra said...

e, cancer free is great news. He sees the dermatologist next month to check the skin cancer. I have lots of horse memories!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Very pretty photo! Grand Marais is a wonderful little town...we used to visit there ofter and stay in the City Campground. Hope your husbands Urology appt goes okay:) WE cooled off to 80 F today!

Sandra said...

Thank you, Far Side. If I were to move it's where I would go. Mark is still cancer free! And you had a cold front!!

Lori Skoog said...

I love it when you post photos of your horses. Such beauties!!!! Good to hear that Mark is still cancer free. The 30s! We are going into a week of the 50s during the day.

Sandra said...

Thank you, Lori. Mark is doing great, thankfully. Mid 60s today.