Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, October 23, 2023

Thirty Years

Several months ago I had posted some before and after photos of this sorry place from the outside. I had said I would post the inside sometime. I spent quite awhile yesterday going through hundreds of photos, only to find I didn't take before photos inside. All I have is this poor quality photo when we were looking to buy the house. Neighbors came with and you can tell just by looking at her what Caroline, on the left, thought! She told me I was out of my mind. She may have been right. There was NO cabinetry in the kitchen, only the island. There was a free standing electric stove sitting on a pallet. Of course, the lovely plaid wallpaper showed so well! This place was a disaster. I couldn't wait!




I took these photos Saturday. We replaced the floor, added cabinets and had the stove the house came with put in properly. It was replaced 20 years ago. The doorway wasn't there, that leads to a screened porch we had put on. Mark and I did the work in the kitchen.




This was just the tip of the iceberg. The addition the seller put on was mostly finished, but the rest of the house was horrible. I do have the ability to see beyond what is there and to know what I can do to fix it. As it was, everyone thought I was nuts. Mark went along with me because I told him I could make it nice. And he believed me. After the kitchen I had two wonderful men who worked on the place, at different times. Without them, I just had a plan, with them I had a home.


Time has flown by. Looking through all of those photos showed me how much time has passed. The house is too large for us, really. There are no holiday dinners anymore. No more large gatherings of horse friends. No more boarders who became friends to come in and chat. Two people rattling around. If I didn't have the horses, would I move? I don't know. The place is known as the house Dick, Patrick and Sandra built. I haven't just lived here, I created a home out of a disaster. A neighbor snidely told me they looked at it before they bought the land down the hill from us and that her husband said the only thing it was good for was a bulldozer. I told her it's too bad he hasn't any imagination. Minnesota nice.


12 comments:

Boud said...

I'm glad you could see what was possible. As you observed, everyone can't. And you had the willingness to do the massive work entailed, that's another story.

Sandra said...

Boud, yes I do have the ability to see potential and everyone does not. It's my super power! We finished the last bit in 2018, having two bathrooms gutted and made new. Having a whole lot of horses to tend during much of the time made it hard, so I am very thankful for my two guys.

Far Side of Fifty said...

In the first photo I see a beautiful old stove in the background! I have one similar the same color!

Sandra said...

Far Side, that belonged to the seller. It was very pretty. He had it there instead of a refrigerator! He was an interesting guy.

Lori Skoog said...

I love the vibe your house gives off....right up my alley.

Sandra said...

Lori, I know, we are two peas in a pod!

Val Ewing said...

Beautiful place! Wow!
My first farm house was dubbed The Money Pit and the ex and I made it our own place and it turned out beautiful.

My current cottage was a tiny house built and maintained...decorated by bachelors. No thought as to making it homey.
We hired pros to do the remodel after living here for 20 yrs with peeling floors and dark walls... and I picked things out. I'm happy with it and ...
that is all you have to be!

Your place looks amazing.

Sandra said...

Val, we know money pits, don't we!

You are absolutely right. Your home should make you happy. Where you live is breathtaking.

e said...

Yeah, not everyone sees possible beauty. That house is lovely, your home, not an investment. Mr. Bulldozer needs to shut his trap.

Sandra said...

e, I wish I had told both of them to shut their traps! They have moved and her son and his family bought the house. They are no better.

Pixie said...

You have a beautiful home, job well done. My new neighbors were able to see through the filth left behind by my old neighbor and have been hard at work make the house theirs. I'm glad they saw the potential too.

Sandra said...

Thanks, Pixie. It’s quirky but I like it. Good for your new neighbors!