Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, October 1, 2023

Oops

What a mistake looks like.


I forgot to add the cheese to the quiche so I put it on top. Bad idea. Three high moisture ingredients and no ability to evaporate through the top of the quiche made for a bit of a mess. Luckily it tasted good, just looked a mess. I have an ability to turn my brain off when I don't want to hear it.

The Twin Cities Marathon was supposed to happen today. It attracts a whole lot of runners and is held in October for mild temperatures. It was cancelled two hours before starting time, due to tropical heat and humidity. In October. In Minnesota. Seriously wrong. We have two more days of this and then highs in the upper 50s. Where it belongs. I think the people in charge were having magical thinking, maybe the forecast will be wrong and it will be ok. So they wait and cancel at the last minute. Why not.

Any outside work I have in my plans will wait until Wednesday. Most of it consists of my ample behind planted on a mower, so I'm pretty sure I will follow through. I'm listening to The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak. I remember there was a movie made based on the book in the 2000s but I hadn't read it. I initially thought I wasn't liking it but have changed my mind. I am learning how to swear in German! I'm about forty percent into it, so I have time for more lessons. 

14 comments:

Boud said...

Now there's a skill I never thought of -- swearing in German! Our temps are high 70s today, more like you'd expect in early October.

Sandra said...

There's a lot of it in the book, Boud! We are typically anywhere from upper 50s to low 70s at the time of year. It's supposed to be 90 today and HUMID.

Pixie said...

That book is in my top ten favorite books.

Taste matters more than looks anyway:)

Sandra said...

Pixie, I would agree, it is very good. Dry humor throughout.

When it looks bad the bright light is when it tastes good. Steamed quiche, I don't recommend it!

Ami said...

Well, I am no gourmet... but it looks lovely to me. Delicious!
It's a beautiful fall day here, we do get a few great ones in Oregon, makes you wonder if the other 360 days of the year are worth staying here, though....

Sandra said...

Ami, it was good. I still wouldn't recommend steamed quiche!

Oregon is temperate in climate, isn't it? I don't know what our climate is anymore, it's really whacked. Enjoy those days while you have them.

Lori Skoog said...

Crazy high temperature....so glad it's going back down for you. We are in the low 80s for a couple of days. I'll bet the quiche did not care if the cheese was on top....yum.

Sandra said...

Lori, we reached 90 yesterday! Today will be 87 tomorrow mid 80s and then I think the next day 56. Yikes! The eggs were soggy gut still edible.

e said...

Your mistake was edible. mine have not been, climate change is also affecting food production and imports. Will the marathon be held when the weather cools down?

Sandra said...

e,I had one meal I remember we couldn't eat. Thai curry. I made it correctly but we both found we really don't like coconut milk. Even Mark didn't eat it.

The marathon is too large to reschedule although some people ran it anyway, from what I read.

Far Side of Fifty said...

85 up here today...it can cool off anytime:)

Sandra said...

Far Side, we reached 89. Tomorrow will be the last hot day. Can’t come soon enough.

Val Ewing said...

It looks delicious never the less!

I think the powers that be learned from marathons in hot hot weather. I recall my son being in one where runners perished from the heat.

We usually have our first frost by the 4th of October so I am patiently waiting on that.

Sandra said...

I agree, Val. I heard on the radio what happened at a Boston Marathon when it was too hot. People died and hospitals and emergency services were overwhelmed.

We may have 30 degrees overnight later this week! Another hot one today, though.