Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Gotta Love a Gatto

Gatto was a stray that showed up here about a week before he came into the house. As some of you know, it was late December and very cold the night I heard him howling on my porch and brought him in, frozen to the point of being nearly unable to walk. I posted him on a few sites but no one claimed him, so I kept the orange monster.

I was curious about the tail, never having see anything like it. So, I looked up curled tail on cats and found out about ringtail cats. Gatto's extreme aggression when playing is part of the genetics, I guess. I do hope he outgrows that, because it is aggressive.

I have no idea where he came from. I thought he'd been someone's house kitty, but a house seemed completely foreign to him. He was very friendly and absolutely clueless. I'll never know his story, only the story he's had since crying for help. He found my giant German Shepherd to be completely acceptable and the other cats, although they gave him snake eyes, didn't bother him in the slightest. Nothing bothers him.


 *The ringed tail is not painful.

The ringed tail is caused by a mutation of a recessive gene. The bones in the tail are not fused. American Ringtails use their tails for balance and to slow their jumps. They can curl their tails around a person’s hands while they are petting them. The tail can also be held straight when the cat wants, but a curled tail is a sign that the cat is relaxed and happy.

The American Ringtail Cat is set apart from others by their signature curled tail, but this breed is similar to other domestic cats in nearly every other way. They have a few wild traits left in them from their feral roots, but they are typical housecats.

Finding a kitten may be difficult because this is a rare breed. If you’re looking for this cat, be sure to check shelters and rescues in your area to see if one is available.


The American Ringtail is a loving, affectionate cat that makes a great addition to any household. They get along with kids and other pets and are always looking for ways to let their fun personalities shine.*





I am glad he found us. As much trouble as he can be, and boy....he can be trouble, he's also a good boy, he loves his dog and he loves biting my feet. 



12 comments:

Pixie said...

I didn't know there were cats such as these. He looks pretty cute. I wonder if someone just dumped him out of a car which makes me sick just thinking about it.

Your roses in the last post are gorgeous. They look like wild roses.

Our new dog is getting used to the cat and vice versa. The cat rules, obviously:)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Interesting about the tail!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea Gatto had a unique tail. I knew he was a smart cat and an attractive cat. This brings to mind "familiars" animals that have magical abilities and have human companions. Perhaps, Gatto is your familiar.

Take Care,
Kaye

e said...

Great information about ringtails. Cats have a way of finding where and with whom they should live. Gatto was meant for you.

Lori Skoog said...

Thank you for sharing this....I had no clue there was such a cat. Gatto lucked out when he found you and your dog!

Sandra said...

Pixie, he was in good condition, so he may have been dumped, or got out. He just didn't seem to understand a house. No one claimed him, so I did.

It's a rambling rose. They go way back. Your new dog settled right in.

Sandra said...

Far Side, I know! He's fancy. :)

Sandra said...

Kaye, something told him to pick on me. It worked! He is unique, but then they all are in one way or another.

Sandra said...

e, settled in like the place is his, so I guess he agrees with you!

Sandra said...

Lori, me either. They are rare, yet here one is! He and Keetah are best buds. Frieda likes to give him a slap-down whenever she feels like it. Jiggs ignores him.

Boud said...

I wonder if he's bred feral, which would account for not knowing houses. He may have been hunting quite successfully until winter. The ferals I've had have been totally bonded to me exclusively among humans from day one, and easy going with dogs and other cats and birds. But no other human was really accepted other than politely.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Gatto has definitely found a great home, Sandra. It was interesting to read about the ringtail cat species, new to me as well. Glad that he found your home and that you decided to let him stay 😀