Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, June 10, 2023

Books. Food.


I finished Stanley Tucci's book, Taste. There was a twist at the end I wasn't expecting. I enjoyed this book quite a lot. I realize it's probably because, by his own reading of his writing, I found we have some similar personality traits and humor. How could I not find it interesting! I am not the strict adherent to what pasta goes with what sauce and such, but I do understand the culture and the importance of food, both eating and preparing. And....like me he despises heat and humidity!

I am now onto this one.


I believe my blogging friend, e, recommended it. I put it on hold in February. I think it's popular. I'm not too far into it, but I do like the book. My blog friends have directed me to some good ones. 

We've had a few days of moderate temperatures, but no rain. It's bone dry. I had a pleasant conversation with Neighbor Bill this morning. We are both suffering lack of motivation. He said the soy bean fields are drying up and how he is worried about the future and the changing climate. I am right with him on that. The ostrich approach that most of the world has taken has brought us here. Ok, this part of the conversation wasn't pleasant, but the rest was.

In the spirit of Stanley Tucci I have a simple, simple meal that was last nights' dinner. It doesn't look like much but deserved a place on the screen, as Mark was in joy with every bite. It does not hurt to have someone who loves food sitting at your table. I'm pretty sure he married me for my cooking. I admit I did like his car. The creme fraiche I made last week was the star, along with asparagus. As Mark said, there's no chance of going wrong when those two are together.


That's my prattle for today. 

Ciao 

15 comments:

e said...

Happy day! I don't know if it is your half birthday or a whole birthday but which ever, take tome to celebrate. I agree about the climate change issues, and I'm glad you like the book. It is a compelling read. I have Tucci on hold now. Your pasta dish looks tempting!

Boud said...

I started Horse but couldn't go on, so worried about what might happen to vulnerable people and animals. But people who've read it approved of it.

Sandra said...

e, it's my half birthday! I think Boud has a wonderful idea with that! Our weather and our weeds have changed. It's not good. I like the book, but it's not easy. I imagine it's banned somewhere. I listened to Tucci and he made me laugh, but I'm a bit odd, so...who knows! Simple, quick meal. Garlic, onion, asparagus , fresh basil, creme fraiche (cream would work0 and lots of pecorino. I threw the olives in at the last minute. It was good and would have been good without them.

Sandra said...

Boud, yes, I understand that. It's so well written I will keep reading. It's hard to face the past, not all so in the past.

I spend some decades in the horse world. It is a cruel place, all of it. Racing has a particularly heinous place. I think it's heyday is over.

Bohemian said...

Climate Changes are concerning and not a pleasant topic, but I agree, those in Denial and putting their Heads in the Sand about a lot that is going sideways are in for a rude awakening. They can't 'pretend away' the inevitable. Your Simple meal does look tasty, The Man probably married me for my Earning Potential... winks... since, I've never been Domestically inclined, but I earned more than him when we met and he was one of the few Men I'd ever known who wasn't threatened by a successful Woman who had a Career that was dominated by Men and who could break Glass Ceilings and shatter them to smitherines. He liked to brag that I wasn't A Bitch, I was THE Bitch and that would be Mrs. Bitch to anyone foolish enough to cross or confront me. *winks*

Boud said...

Happy half birthday! How will you celebrate, o Sag lady?

Anonymous said...

Happy Half Birthday! I call them "Merry , Merry Un-Birthdays." I believe that the phrase is from "Alice in Wonderland."

I really enjoy your writing and perspective on things. You are interesting, as I have said before. I look forward to your posts.

Take Care,
Kaye

Val Ewing said...

Birthday! Whoo Hoo!

I haven't read those books. But I do read about a book every few days.

We finally got some rain this morning. I woke up to a nice gentle air freshening rain. It won't last, but it sure was pleasant to see.

It will freshen up the weeds and the grasses!
One of the gals at Farmer's Market yesterday said she had to turn under all of her radishes and strawberries that were just not doing well even with watering the plants.

LOL. My hubby didn't marry me for my cooking skills. :)
I hope you got some of the rain that passed through.

Sandra said...

Dawn, no we cannot pretend away the inevitable. No one would have married me for my earning skills! You had an interesting career. I think to make it in a man's world tough is necessary. I like simple food.

Sandra said...

Boud, I made chicken and gravy, something Lori got me thinking about when she made it! I like your half birthday idea!

Sandra said...

Kaye, you are very nice to me. I look forward to your responses!

Sandra said...

Val, we had a little rain yesterday evening. Just enough to make the ground wet. It's a beautifully cool morning. We all have our talents in one form or another! You are a spirited explorer.

Ami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ami said...

Ha, late to the party as usual, it's one of my superpowers.

I love Stanley Tucci. I will be heading to the library website to get his book for my kindle.

Last book recommended by a blog friend was one I would never, ever had noticed or cared about. Red, by Sammy Hagar.

I'm a music fan, which is why I never cared much for Van Halen. Haha... get it?

But it was an interesting read.

Dinner looks tasty. I have pretty simple food tastes myself.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I also enjoyed Tucci's book which i read, but can well imagine listening to him read it would have been a delight. Speaking of authors reading books, I recently listened to Matthew Perry reading his book, Friends Lovers and the Awful Terrible Thing, and what a life he has lead so far is all I will say now...in case you will read or listen to it. All of my books are library versions and this came up as a "popular and available" library book and based on Perry's "fame" as a member of the Friends TV cast I can understand why. Celebrity bios do not impress me for many reasons, but ones read by the authors catch my attention as did the audio book, Green Lights, written and read by Matthew McConaughy.