Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Poor Me


It has been miserably hot and humid. June is typically a spring month in Minnesota, generally mild, pleasant days with just enough rain to keep things green. It's dry as dust, this is not boding well for us.

We have been eating a lot of these cold pasta salads. They are so refreshing, I make enough for dinner and then for lunch the next day. Who wants to cook in this soupy weather? That said, I do have chicken stock cooking in the InstantPot, only because the bones were taking up much needed space in the freezer. Mark needs to go to town today so he will pick up a pizza. No cooking for me again tonight. I'll take it.


 I am making creme fraiche. You can see the fermenting action going on in there. I like it better than sour cream, which I also like. Just like this better. It's milder.


Our air conditioner is older than Methuselah, which means I use it sparingly. Before we became tropical I rarely needed to use it, which may be why a 1985 unit is still working. I used it just enough to keep it operational but not to wear it out. That's my story anyway. After the appliance deaths last year I'd like to keep this one humming along for awhile. The enormous trees that were in front of the house, providing needed shade on the south, are now both gone. They are missed.

I am a wilting flower, I've turned into someone reclining on the fainting couch with a case of the vapors. Cream puff. Don't tell anyone, there were people who thought I was pretty tough once-upon-a-time! No need for disillusionment.

10 comments:

Ami said...

I can sooooo relate!
I'm a wimp now. Don't like it too cold. Don't like it too hot.
And I don't want to spend time cooking and cleaning, either. Dammit.

You need a fainting couch. You can use it as needed and pretend it's a fashion statement when you want.

Boud said...

I have a smaller range of acceptable temperatures too, these days. Not too hot, not too, cold. The Goldilocks climate.

Val Ewing said...

Yikes on the hot humid weather. We not only had that but the added poor quality of air too!

No mowing in this weather,...well, we'd like to have some rain first...crunchy grass.

Cold pasta salads are the best.

Lori Skoog said...

Yep. The older I get, the less I like high temps and humidity. Can't beat salads wen it is like this. It sounds like your temps are higher than ours. The sky has been overcast and the air smells like smoke as the wind is bringing it down from the fires in Canada. I hate to tell you....I have down time almost every single day around 2pm. Stay cool and send us some rain.

Far Side of Fifty said...

We had salad tonight for supper and I warmed up Jambalya from the freezer. I wanted to make baked beans this week but that is probably not happening since it is so warm. I worked outside today and was dripping...and the grass is growing so fast I will be on the mower again for two days:(

Sandra said...

Ami, I do need a fainting couch! I could do it proud.

Sandra said...

That's the name for it, Boud. The Goldilocks climate!

Sandra said...

Val, our grass is brown, too. Getting the mower fixed isn't a pressing issue all of a sudden.

We like those salads!

Sandra said...

Lori, I didn't like it when I lived in Atlanta decades ago. It has become much more humid here over the past dozen years or so. We've also had air pollution from the fires but not as bad as I see the east coast has. Down time is good for a person, late afternoons are my reading or listening time.

Sandra said...

Far Side, I love jambalaya! I'm not turning an oven on, just using the grill. It's parched down here, we've got cracks in the soil. I don't need to mow, the grass is brown.