Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, June 25, 2023

Old...But Not Out


Technology

I have kept up with it, although sometimes I don't pay attention and need to catch up. I made two discoveries yesterday that I hadn't known about. One: If I get a digital book that doesn't come in audio I can use my Alexa app to turn it into audio. Alexa reads it. I don't care for reading digital books, now I don't have to. Two: Roku now streams live tv. It's been probably six months since I used Roku, so I turned it on yesterday and there is was...the option for live tv. We don't have cable available to us. We had satellite tv for about a decade and dropped it perhaps a dozen years ago. We use a digital antenna and Roku. Streaming through the device means bad weather, windy weather, does not disrupt reception. My kitchen tv is smart. I haven't used that feature since I bought it about three months ago. I'll look to see if it has live streaming. Isn't this exciting stuff!




We got some rain last evening. I heard while listening to the weather yesterday that the last time we had drought this extreme in the Twin Cities was 150 years ago. Now, not to be greedy, but more would surely be welcome. The rain broke the heatwave we have been enduring. On another note of interest, at least to me, I plan to go to Aldi next week. Why, you ask, is this a note of interest? I have not been inside a grocery store since the third week of February 2020. You read that right. First, when we went to lockdown, I had delivery. Then I went to pick up, which I will still use. I just want to go myself, with Mark's help. And the help of a cane and a cart to support myself with. Big stuff going on.

That's it. The story of life in my lane. Unabridged.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! You have got this and I am convinced it will be a successful journey. I look forward to reading about it.

Take Care,
Kaye

Sandra said...

Kaye, I should write headline news.....she goes to the grocery store!!!!

Boud said...

This is quite an expedition you're planning. We need a blow by blow account. Live tweeting. Something.

As to Alexa and other amazing discoveries, go you!

Bohemian said...

I'm conflicted about Technological Advances, mostly due to being Tech Challenged... I can't even turn on my new TV without the help of a Kiddo... it has Three different remotes! I think the damned thing does everything but make Love to you... I just want an ON and OFF Button myself, need to keep it Simple. But, I do like my Computer and my Smart Phone, took me a while to master each, well, not exactly MASTER, but you know... *winks*

Far Side of Fifty said...

I did not know Alexa could read. That is interesting. We used to do Roku now we have smart TVs with apps...have a fun trip to Aldi!

Val Ewing said...

I hope your trip goes well to the store. That will be an adventure.

Techie? Me? Hmmm. We just have a smart TV which my son got for us and set up. It has to be super super easy for hubby who does the TV watching.

We had no TV for 20 years. Reception for regular TV was/is zilch here unless you like static.

Sandra said...

Boud, you are funny! If I used Twitter I would do just that.

Sandra said...

Dawn, it took me awhile to jump in, I got my first computer in 2000, later than other people I knew. But I have kept up since. I'm no techie, but I can manage. The tv I replaced was an old smart tv, when they first came out. The apps didn't work anymore and the screen was getting dark. I used to think my phone was smarter Than me!

Sandra said...

Far Side, it was news to me, too. I have smart tvs but I still use the roku on one because I get a lot more options with it. It's just that I rarely use it. The device is old, I bought it when they first started up. Still works.

Sandra said...

Val, I have an exciting life! I don't think I have ever been without a tv. The reception was bad when removed here, so it was almost like not having one, though.