Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Return

Good Morning


The black cloud has moved on, allowing me to see the sunshine and smell the roses.
 

The cats have been clingy. Gatto went back to pacing the house and yowling for a few days. He seems to have stopped that. How difficult it must be, not understanding what happened to your buddy. They, like me, are coming around.

The event itself was traumatic, mainly because it was so unexpected. Then there is the fact that Keetah was the last of the animals from my mother's house. There is also the finality of it, as my long dog owning years have come to an end. I counted how many I have had since adulthood. Twenty. Twenty dogs who gave their all, kept me company. Some made me feel very safe, especially when we moved here and I had never lived where there wasn't pavement and concrete. Having a dog who would die for me made me feel secure and got me through the fear of what I had just done, uprooting my life for something very unknown to me. Now, that chapter is closed. Now I have cats, solely cats. Which is not a bad thing.

14 comments:

Boud said...

I'm glad you're dealing with it so well. New chapter of your life starting.

Sandra said...

Thanks, Boud. Life does carry on. We may as well join it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sometimes the last of of the last can set you back, it is not easy. 20 dogs you have been blessed with many good friends:)

Sandra said...

Far Side, yes. I ended up with many unwanted dogs, especially after moving here. In the '90s I had a pack of 7 large dogs. After that I usually had 4 at once. Most were discarded before I got them. My last basset hound was dumped at age 12. People...

e said...

I am so sorry. Sending you hugs.

Anonymous said...

You do whatever you need to do after the loss of your dear friend.
I read somewhere that when you loose a loved one all the ones you have lost rise up into your heart and you remember them. Bitter sweet moments.
Take Care,
Kaye

Sandra said...

e, thank you.

Sandra said...

Kaye, that's exactly it. I started recalling every one of them. It was bittersweet.

Lori Skoog said...

We have had company and I missed this post. Happy to read that you and your kitties are adjusting to the loss of Keetah. There is nothing that can compare with the companionship we get from dogs and cats.

Bohemian said...

I always Wonder in what way an Animal feels Grief, I'm sure they do tho'. There is a Wild Male Duck in our Mini Farm Community, he and his Mate have always been together and they're the only Wild Ducks who have decided our Farms are their Home, they didn't hang out at the Lakes around us where all the other Migratory Birds do. It was just them and during Irrigation they'd float around on the Pastures. Well, lately she has been missing and I think something happened to her, and he looks so Lost, he really does, it makes me so Sad for him. I don't know that Wild Ducks mate for Life like Geese do, but, he seems to really not seem to know what to do without his Girlfriend being present. Mebbe I'm reading more into it and projecting my thoughts upon the Duck, but, it makes me Wonder what happened to her and how he's handling it?

Sandra said...

Lori, no there isn't. They are with everyday, all day

Sandra said...

I can't say how it's processed, Dawn, but I know they notice and I have seen what I would call grief. He will probably find a new mate, geese do. But in the meantime he is confused. Gatto is now mimicking Keetah's actions with Mark. It's the strangest thing. He was very attached to her.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks, Sandra, for this update on how you and the felines are doing and the sadness will linger, but the memories will make your happy in time.

Sandra said...

Beatrice, thank you. The cats can perk a person up.