Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Tale


ONCE UPON A TIME there was a damsel, dark of hair and smooth of cheek, an urban-dwelling one was she. Her castle, a fine Victorian dwelling, her kingdom, a tony Saint Paul neighborhood. Life was easy; coffee shops & boutiques. Dinner al fresco & breakfast croissants. Life was all she could want.

The damsel had a peculiar habit, the riding of fine steeds, which she enjoyed very much indeed. But something was amiss, something was not right. It kept her awake night after night. Was it this life of ease was not to be? A niggling thought was creeping in, a worm of doubt was about to begin.

The damsel became restless, a seed was planted and it would grow. The poor, hapless man, he did not know. He did not know his world was turning upside down, that he would be moving to the other side of town.

The damsel, she did plead, she even wheedled we must concede, to have her way! The hapless man did try to sway the damsel from this path she laid, but nary a word could win the day. 

So in the winter of cold and frost came the damsel to her heart's delight. Inside her dwelt a sliver of fright, for she was in a land unfamiliar and so dark of night. A land of strangers and imagined dangers, but a land so full of promise and mangers.

In this land the damsel has dwelled, long years have passed, but she's lived them well. The damsel is light of hair and rough of cheek, it's been a land not meant for the meek. The ease has gone, the life has changed. But in this land the damsel shall remain.

15 comments:

Judy said...

I did not know you wrote romance novels too!!! Your many talents are unraveling...

Sandra said...

Or, just someone with a penchant for very bad rhyme!

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

This is so great! Quite the writer, you damsel, you! Poor Prince not knowing what he was getting into but it must not have been that bad...he's still enjoying his damsel ;)

Sandra said...

The Poor Prince has no where to go, nor the money to take him there!

Ganeida said...

ROFL, oh my! OoooooH! You are so funny.

Sandra said...

Ah, but this is no where near the perfect little ditty "Ode to Dog Hair"!

Lorac said...

Ahhh.... I loved it! Good read!
Went to the cottage after my appt. in T.O. It was awful! The appt. I mean, but I survived. It was an extraordinarily long drive to the cottage though, stopping every hour to use the facilities LOL

Sandra said...

You went through an experience no woman should endure. Especially those above a certain age!

For you. "A test you say there must be, but then you tell me I cannot pee. I cannot pee, how can that be! You are a torture to me. The test I do, I tell you true. I never peed, but a pox upon you!" The end.

Memories Of Mine said...

Sandra this poem is brilliant. I love poems that are personal and meaning full like this.

Sandra said...

Liss, brilliant is a bit of a stretch, but I appreciate the thought! I have a knack for silly rhyme. One of my hidden talents!

Britwife said...

You are my "new" favorite poet. Only because I understand you (unlike Shakespeare, I am sad to say, who has no way into my heart I am afraid).
You are a hoot.

JeanRDH said...

Loved it!
Already familiar with the essence of the story, I particularly enjoyed the perspective, and the meter intriques me (as spouse of a percussionist).

Sandra said...

Britwife, Shakespeare just did a double roll in his grave!

Jean, I wish I could take credit for the meter, but I just put words together. : )

Girl Tornado said...

Wow, you are a gifted writer, aren't you? I'm quite impressed! I know nothing of meter or Shakespeare (what little I read I couldn't understand either)... I only know I enjoyed reading your very short romance. :)

Sandra said...

Nah, I'm a horse breeder!