Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July

We don't have a family gathering on the 4th of July. My parents are elderly and not very mobile and my son works. So it is basically another day for us. It would be nice to have a family gathering, but you need to have a family to do that and mine is small! I try to make something special for dinner, though.

We had a sirloin tri tip roast that I grilled, with sauce provencal, sauteed baby bellas and a romaine salad.

Mark loves sweet corn. I don't.

I made a cake! I don't bake very often, so this was a big deal. White cake with chocolate frosting. A favorite of mine.

We had a relaxed day. Mark worked in his office for a couple of hours, but he spent most of the day watching Wimbledon. No one set off firecrackers in the neighborhood, so the dogs didn't get upset. I hope everyone had a great day.

6 comments:

Just Jules said...

oh the corn and the cake! yummmmmm not a big fan of cake, but you know for the holiday!

Shoulda brought my brood down there - we would have woke the neighborhood!

Sandra said...

It would be good for the whole old, crabby lot of us to have some noisy kids around!

I am a BIG fan of cake, so I don't make cake. : )

Ganeida said...

Glad you had a Happy 4th. ☺ I'm a big fan of cake, especially anything with chocolate so save me a nice big bit. lol

Sandra said...

Not likely any will be saved. I'm a cake hound. : )

EveryoneThinksThey'reGoodDrivers said...

Looks like it was wonderful Sandra! You are lucky, my neighborhood sounded like a warzone for hours.

Memories Of Mine said...

My family is also very small but never the less it is still nice to do something a little special.

And count me in for a piece of cake too. I'm love cake doesn't matter what sort. unless it's poppy seed. (they stuck in between your teeth and it's just not nice)