Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Bon Jour

The world's favorite season is the spring. 
All things seem possible in May.
-   Edwin Way Teale


We have a glorious day ahead. Spring seems to have forced the issue and is in full swing. I am able to open the windows and smell the apple blossoms. All we are missing is the rain. 

The horses stand at the fence line, gazing at the grass on the other side. This is the traditional week for turning out to pasture, but we haven't had enough rain, so the pasture grass is not up enough to put them out. I have a lot of horses and limited pasture, so I must be careful in my management. Some patience at the front pays off in the long run. I hope. Topper, on the other hand, has a whole pasture to himself and is getting shiny and sleek on the grass. He is a lucky stallion. Lucky that I have a pasture that needs rest, so he gets it to himself. I'll put Ben back with him when we get past breeding season.

Have a wonderful day, wherever you are.

10 comments:

Just Jules said...

oh wonderful. Love the smell of apple blossoms.

Sandra said...

I sure hope you are getting a view of spring up there in the northland. Look at it this way. When my apple blossoms are spent and the lilacs dried up, you'll be enjoying them up there. : )

Judy said...

I just love spring! The sound of the birds,bright green grass,the warm sunshine, opening up the windows...new beginnings. Have a wonderful day!

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Oh...the smell of apple blossoms! Ours haven't even started here and we aren't that much higher than you. I know the look of a horse with the long face wanting all that luscious green grass...soon enough!

Alexandra said...

Gorgeous! I am back to blogging after vaca. this week and this post reminded me how much I've missed you :-)

Ashley Dumas said...

Spring seems to have sprung full force for you! I am so glad that you are not suffering away in the cold anymore!

Ash : )

Lorac said...

Your horses have the "Grass is Greener" syndrome. Probably a bit of spring fever as well (or it might be breeding season) Doesn't your mood just lift as the weather warms?

Sandra said...

Spring is so anticipated in a cold climate that it is almost magical!

Alexandra, what a nice thing to say.

Ashley, we go to spring and you enter fall. After a hot Brazilian summer I'm sure it's welcome.

Lorac, they would be right, not only is it greener, it's there! Where they are currently incarcerated there is only dirt.

Britwife said...

Oh wow, that is one beautiful tree! We got up to 60 yesterday - I think you guys got close to 90? I'm so excited for summer!

Sandra said...

The official temp was 97 but my thermometer had 100. Too hot too soon.