Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, June 27, 2026


Is it possible to have too much Homer?
I thought not.



They are going Up North for a weekend cabin stay on one of the seemingly million lakes we have in Minnesota. New York says Up State. We say Up North. Which for me, probably not all of us, means the eastern part of the state along Lake Superior. Likely because, except for a few exceptions in adulthood (am I an adult?), that is the only part of North I knew, including Canada. I've skied in Canada often. I went to the Arabian Canadian Nationals, which was held in Regina. It got moved sometime in the 2000s. I had to look up where it is now. Brandon, Manitoba. 

I certainly got off topic. So, as long as I went there we will jump from Homer to Zing (WF Last Roses) and his trip to Regina. He did very well considering he probably was the only horse in the ring who wasn't owned by a person with wealth. Which is a problem, likely in all breeds but this one in particular is dripping with $$$$. One of the judges was a performance trainer who liked him very much, which made him a contender. I bred for beauty AND athleticism. This was the 3 year-old futurity. He came in 5th out of the Top Ten.


Anyway, this is what I used to do for a couple of decades. Sorry, Homer. I didn't mean for you to share the stage.

***His name comes from his dam, who died at his birth. Her name was LF Diamond Rose. He was her last. Zing came from her habit of 'zinging' her teeth on the stall door bars when she wanted something. I called her 'jailhouse mama'.***



38 comments:

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Having been raised in Minnesota before moving to western Wisconsin, it is definitely "up north". Such beautiful country.

Anvilcloud said...

We say ‘up north.’ Up province would sound ridiculous. We referred to the family cottage that way even though it was a titch south of where we live now, but it was definitely a more cottagey region.

Val Ewing said...

When we say up north...it was usually a 4 hr at least drive northward. Though this week I could really dig sitting on a beach in the UP.

My goodness, what beautiful horses and of course, Homer looks happy.

The Happy Whisk said...

5th out of 10. Cool beaners.

Boud said...

Look at that coat! Silk.
I grew up in a part of the country, UK, referred to by southerners as "Ap Nawth"! IYKYK

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Really beautiful! And too much Homer....goodness, never! :)

Dreaming said...

He is gorgeous! Congrats on your/his past attainments!

Lori Skoog said...

Homer looks like my kind of dog! You sure raised some beautiful horses....so nice that you still have some on the farm. I miss mine so much.

"Tommy" said...

That is such a fine animal; how stately and regal. Thanks for posting.

CheerfulMonk said...

Thank you for this post! What a beautiful horse...and dog!

Modrina Neba - Blue sky said...

Sandra so beautiful, Happ Sundayy, kiss and Hug Andreja!

nick said...

What a fine-looking horse. And a very contented-looking dog.

Sandra said...

It is J&B. I've spent a lot of time in Duluth. Lake Superior is magnificent.

Sandra said...

Up north is a Minnesota thing so we and you really do talk very much alike. Will Canada consider adopting us?

Sandra said...

Up north for me is the north shore, Val. The years are blurred together. I was so busy and engaged in my own little pocket of life. Horses and horse people, my entire world for a long time.

Sandra said...

There is Champion, Reserve Champion and the remaining eight are Top Ten, Ivy. Sometimes there are 30 horses in the ring, other times only a few.

Sandra said...

Arabians generally have very smooth coats, Boud. "Ap Nawth" 😂

Sandra said...

Not possible to have too much Homer, Linda!

Sandra said...

Lineage of Diamond Rose were successful in the showing. She was a marvelous horse, Dreaming.

Sandra said...

I can't imagine how it feels after a lifetime with horses to suddenly have them gone, Lori.

Sandra said...

In real life he is a goofy clown of a horse, Tommy. He is a character.

Sandra said...

If Homer knew he was usurped and by a HORSE! Zinger is a good fellow.

Sandra said...

Thank you, Andreja.

Sandra said...

He's now 25, nick and still looks like this 3 yr old him.

The Happy Whisk said...

Very cool!

Miss Merry said...

I live in Ohio. When we say "Up North" we mean Michigan, lol. We never say "Up State" because we are on the tippy top - we call it the "North Coast" of Ohio - and we joke we can see Canada. (you can see Canada if you go out really, really far on a boat.

Lori said...

What a stunning horse. And Homer looks like a seriously cool dog.

Granny Sue said...

Mommy, time at a lake sounds so inviting! I hope Homer knows how lucky he is.
Zing was a beauty! You certainly had an interesting life with your horses. The photos you share of them are just stunning.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sandra, thanks for sharing more about your life and Zing was a beautiful animal and I liked what you shared about how you raised horses. Homer is a lucky pup to be going on such a nice road trip!

DeniseinVA said...

What a beauty and no doubt emotionally rewarding to do this Thank you for sharing these memories Sandra. Lovely pup too.

Sandra said...

Homer is chilling, Ivy!

Sandra said...

Well, now I know we have a North Coast, Miss Merry!

Anonymous said...

No, one can not get enough of dear Homer! Take Care,
Kaye (now will I be able to publish?)

Sandra said...

.Thank you, Lori. Homer is a terrier. What more needs saying!

Sandra said...

Homer sort of sees it the other way around, Sue!. Zing still looks the same 22 years later.

Sandra said...

When Matthew tent camps Kelly stay home, so Homer is the camping buddy. He's spent a lot of time in the north woods. My life has been filled with horses, dogs and now cats, Dorothy.

Sandra said...

My world was entwined with horses for a long time, Denise. Since I still have 11 of them I guess it still is. Homer is well loved.

Sandra said...

Welcome back, Kaye. I hope!