Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, June 30, 2026

Too Much Information?


I know I've posted this photo a couple of years ago. I am going through photos to clear a bunch of them out and I saw my truck. We are not people who buy new things when the old is working just fine. My 1997 Chevy one ton diesel dually works as well as it did in 1997. It was primarily used to pull a horse trailer and to pick up grain so the milage is relatively low, especially considering it is a diesel. 148,000 miles. With the price of diesel I am very happy it is now used to pick up grain and little else. Young men nearly swoon over this truck. It really is sort of humorous.


My bedroom furniture, minus the bed, is from the mid 1960s. My living/dining room furniture is from 1981-82. I have many furniture pieces which have passed down a few generations. I'm the last stop for those items. My son has no interest. I don't replace if I don't need to. I've even hung onto Mark!

Here's a real surprise. When my mother died I inherited her car, a 2005 Buick LeSabre (my parents would only own Buicks). I had a 1997 Jeep that is still in very good condition and now belongs to neighbor Bill. The Buick has 48,000miles on it. Yep, you read that right. It looks new. 

Now you know another of my proclivities. Or is it peculiarities?

35 comments:

Boud said...

This person who keeps cars for twenty years as her sole vehicle and refers to them as new for at least ten years, sees no problem here. Likewise furniture, none inherited but nothing new.

Miss Merry said...

We usually keep cars 15-20 years. When we retired we both bought new cars. We still refer to them as our NEW cars even though they are 5 & 6 years old. My guess is that they are also our LAST vehicles.

nick said...

I agree with you about not replacing things unless you have to. Our microwave is decades old and we've only just replaced the cathode ray TV we acquired in 2000. We would never buy something new just to be fashionable.

Lori said...

Our house has a lot of things in it that we've had forever too. I also have a rocking chair, hope chest and table that were my grandmothers. We like to take care of things and hold on to good items. That is very impressive on the Buick. My Jeep is 10 years old and just hit 60,000 miles and I thought I was doing good.

Anvilcloud said...

This works for me. We make do a lot.

Granny Sue said...

Kindred soul! The only new things in my house are appliances, except my cookstove which is a 1950 model.
Vehicles though...when I was working and storytelling I usually put at least 35,000 miles a year on my car. I figured it up once, that i had driven over a million miles, and had owned 6 or 7 vehicles during that time--4 were Nissan Sentras, 2 of which were totaled when someone hit me, one we traded in at 200,000 miles and one we gave away at 245,000 miles. These days we b still drive a lot, but usually less that 20, 000 in a year. It seems odd not to have to buy tires every year!

CheerfulMonk said...

My 2002 Highlander has 38, 000 miles on it. I'm hoping it will outlast me. My bed and mattress are from 1965 and I love them.

Lori Skoog said...

If it ain't broke! You must take very good care of your vehicles. Join the club....not much new stuff round here...although I really need a new couch in the kitchen.

Modrina Neba - Blue sky said...

Sandra I wish good July, kiss Andreja!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sandra, your 1997 truck beats my 2007 Jeep Liberty with 111,500 miles and like you, I have no plans of replacing it although in the last 2 months it has needed some maintenance repairs, which also came with warranties so all good. We did replace BR and LR furniture when we moved from VA to NH, but kept bookcases and some other pieces. We know the couch needs replacement at some point, but are in no hurry.

Val Ewing said...

When I moved in with Rich his house was furnished with hand me downs and styled in Bachelor Auction.
The beds we have are ancient, but steel frames that were painted and finished in silver vehicle paint still are great.
I finally got us a new love seat after the cushions on the old ones were so worn, we were sitting on metal supports.

The table we had was Rich's Grandmother's table ... she got it from her mother.
Old stuff has character, some old stuff lasts longer than the new stuff produced today.

Yes! Nice truck!

Sandra said...

I see I have kindred spirits here, Boud. Ten years old sounds new to me.

Sandra said...

We don't anticipate replacing the Buick, Miss Merry. I think the truck will last long enough for my son to inherit. That's one thing he wants.

Sandra said...

I can see I'm not alone is this habit, nick.

Sandra said...

You are doing good, Lori.

Sandra said...

It's a good way to be, I think, AC.

Sandra said...

We had 2 Nissan Sentras, both manual transmissions, Sue. One was totaled when Mark was crashed into by a driver not paying attention. We had to buy a refrigerator in '22 because our old one quit working. My stove is new compared to yours at 23 years, You were on the road!!

Sandra said...

Your Highlander beat the Buick, Cheerful! That's an old mattress. Very well made.

Sandra said...

I love your decor, Lori. You are eclectic and it works so well.

Sandra said...

Thank you, Andreja.

Sandra said...

A friend told me when I bought the truck that I would never need to replace it. I said I doubted that. She knew better than I did, Dorothy. We had to have new brakes on the Buick last month.

Sandra said...

Bachelor auction would be replaced, Val!! I cherish the items passed down from the earlier generations. I don't like to think about what will happen to it all.

Sandy said...

We don't buy new to have new either. Hubby's car, Ford Explorer is over 20 years old. He works a little over a mile from the house, so really no need to buy new. My car was bought used. OUr house is 75 years old. Unless I gain weight and can't wear something, my clothes are usually pretty old as well. Furniture. The only pieces I have that weren't hand me downs is my dining room set and bed. Stuff in the living room is a mix.

Sandra said...

I do have kindred spirits here, Sandy. I feels good to know this.

DeniseinVA said...

I definitely can lay claim to some of those proclivities/peculiarities. Love your old truck. I always wanted one of those big-wheeled trucks with thick tires. Of course, I would have to have a lift to get into it and therein lies the rub. Why? Because I remember one driving past us as easy as wink in a blizzard several years ago, when everyone on that freeway was stuck. We once borrowed our father-in-law’s truck, a real old one he had just had painted. It was beautiful! I lost count of the people at traffic lights who gave us a thumb’s up. I now say to Gregg when one passes us, I want that truck! It’s become a family joke now. Yes I want one but know it will never be. We keep our cars until they are ready to fall apart.

Anonymous said...

We have some kind of shared car history . MGs, 280 Zs and now Buicks. We had nothing but Buicks growing up until I was a teenager/high school and my Dad got into Lincolns. aka as land yachts. I now am a devoted Subaru driver.
Take Care,
Kaye

Sandra said...

The dual tires in back make hauling something heavy like a horse trailer with horses a breeze. No sway with a bumper pull, which is what I have, Denise. My prior truck was regular so I had to use sway bars. My son wants this truck but he will have to wait! It seems there are more people like me than I thought.

Sandra said...

Do you think we were separated at birth, Kaye? I have
not owned nor driven a Subaru but I have heard they are really good vehicle. I will like never know. My parents had a couple of Buick Electra which counts as a land yacht. I got my only speeding ticket in one at 18 years of age.

Modrina Neba - Blue sky said...

Sandra Happy friday, kiss

Barwitzki said...

Great car :-))) I’m attached to old things...

Sandra said...

Thank you, Andreja.

Sandra said...

Me, too, Viola. Thank you.

The Happy Whisk said...

lololololol on you even hanging on to Mark. Gurl. You funny.

Sandra said...

It was a struggle, Ivy. I'm telling you!

DeniseinVA said...

Yes, it was lovely to read all your comments. I forgot you would have to have a truck for pulling your horse trailers. I covet your truck, lol!