Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, October 4, 2026

Just Stuff


Do you, like me, see a barrage of articles telling us how we should dress, what is in and what is out and what is in for home decor, lots about kitchens. Which is what leads me to this photo. I have a friend thirty years younger than I am. I've known her for twenty years. Last week she sent me a photo of her kitchen, where she had put in an open cabinet for pantry supplies she uses often.


We were talking on the phone and she asked me if it looked tacky because she has read, heard, this design advice often. Her siblings live by it. My response was; it's your home, you live in it in the way that you like and that works for you. I don't care to be a minimalist. I don't care if a wall color is now considered passé, if I have my counters filled with what I use daily or at least often. I use my kitchen. I live in my house. I like my office walls covered in photos and plaques. 

All this to say to her quit worrying about what we are told to do by some obscure person and just live in your own home as you like. There are plenty of things we have in our lives which are often beyond our control. This is not one of them. 

Okay, got that off my chest. Still cooking, I can do that. Remember the saying "cooking with gas"? Indicating you are doing well? I am literally cooking with gas and doing as well as possible.

Thank you all for your kindness concerning my continuing pain complaint. I do appreciate each and all.

*Blogger is insisting the middle paragraph be in large print. I concede.

5 comments:

"Tommy" said...

First, my dear blogger friend, or should I say, friend who lives afar.. My comment is that I agree with you. No one should tell anyone how to live, where to live, and what to live in, etc. The first photograph, to me, is a well-used kitchen; I would gladly pull up a stool, eat an apple, and discuss what was cooking for Supper.

"Tommy" said...

The 2nd photograph is yummy. I was having some stuffed bell peppers with boudin for supper yesterday.

Boud said...

That looks like a welcoming kitchen where actual food is cooked to enjoy. It gets my seal of approval. As do all the meals you show us. Nice home cooking.
There are so many features written about ten things you got wrong, eight mistakes you're making, these foods are killing you, etc. Etc. They're written for a paycheck. Comic relief. Not statutes.

Val Ewing said...

My kitchen counter is full of pans that have seeds drying in them. Everyone is different and so our homes reflect that. Your home is literally your castle or domain.
My floor is sometimes littered with dog toys. My couch has blankets on it for snuggling and for the dogs to make beds with.
I suck at cooking but you know that.
My China cabinet displays Legos and cool toys.

We live not for the decisions of others on what our home 'should' look like, but for ourselves.

Yum. I'm going to drive to your place sometime and eat....or to Lori's house--but she is further away!

Lori said...

I really don't follow fashion trends with clothing or house decor. I know what I like and what I don't like. I love your kitchen. It shows that it is used for what it is intended for. Enjoy your Sunday!