Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, October 8, 2026

'Tis the Season


Not that season.
It's the season when plants start coming into the house for the winter. After this horrible summer all I can say is, winter, bring it on. But not too on, okay? Okay.

Our weather has been mild. I have not turned the furnace on yet, very welcome for the winter finances. It's expensive, all this being great again.

As I put the period to the prior sentence the power went out. It came on again early afternoon but I didn't get back to this. So, a day later. Yesterday was sunny and 75 F/24-ish C, today cloudy and cooler. 

I got some laughter yesterday when talking to a friend. She has a tiny tortie who has a huge personality and a booming voice. After what Cora obviously found long enough without her human's full attention I was treated to the loud yowling of an insulted cat. She would not stop. I finally told my friend Cora was telling her to hang up the damn phone and put her attention where it belonged. So she did. I have always thought of Bette Midler when  I think of Cora. 


We had another meal from leftovers, chicken this time. There is still enough to use in soup or with pasta. Cutting Mark back to eating for two instead of three has been profitable. 



 

28 comments:

Modrina Neba said...

Sandra, how nice... I like your flowers, and the food is also to my taste :))
Greetings with drops, Andreja!

Granny Sue said...

We finally turned on one small stove, but we are lucky that our gas is free---another reason I don't want to ever move.
The meal looks delicious, and I laughed about cutting your hubby back! Mine eats more than I do yet weighs less. Go figure.
Enjoy these lovely days.

The Happy Whisk said...

We turned the furnance on the other day and them back off again. Today it's really full and pretty out and muggy in the trailer so the air is on. Windows soon once we get the airs out.

Animals can be demanding at times for sure. I confess, mine goes on a time-out When a demanding barks shoots out his mouth. Those time-outs work well for us.

In other news, love your meal photos.

Pixie said...

We have a torty as well, with strong opinions and many complaints about the weather. Our furnace has been back on for a couple of weeks now and Bagheera is very unhappy about the lack of outdoor warmth, but she is slightly mollified by sitting on the furnace registers:)

Anvilcloud said...

Cutting back to eating for 2. 😀

Miss Merry said...

I love peas! That looks like a delicious meal to me! I have been slipping on my healthy heart diet but I am sticking to smaller portions, too.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Our furnace has been on several times, I am too old to be cold! We pre buy our propane and it was reasonable:) Oh I like peas but my husband does not.

DeniseinVA said...

Your window with all your plants is really pretty. You talking about Cora demanding you hang up on your friend made me laugh. Thank you! Your meal looked yummy. I just made enough beef stew (with peas included) to feed an army. At least enough to feed us for the next couple of days, and maybe the freezer for another couple of meals sometime. Got a good teal at Costco so the freezer is now well stocked. If the army stops by, they are welcome :)

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Your first photo is lovely! And your meal looks delicious!

Lori Skoog said...

We brought our plants in too. They had grown so much they hardly fit! It has been sunny here but so cold in the mornings our house temperature has been about 60 and I turn the furnace on for awhile. The plants always add so much to a room....they look great.

peppylady (Dora) said...

A few time I turned on the furnace in the morning.

CheerfulMonk said...

Fingers crossed the nice weather continues for a while. ❤️

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Nice weather here as well and even though management has transferred from AC to heat, we have not had the need to turn it on. Making several meals from a chicken is always a bonus!

Val Ewing said...

When you mention heating, I am pretty glad that I have a rather small house this year. What horrors will come with the increase in LP. I couldn't pre-purchase as my tank was still nearly full from the March fill up.
Long johns will be a must for our winter days.
Right now, I'm going to enjoy this fall.
Cool mornings and warmish days to let the warm air heat up the house.

I've brought in my plants too. My coleus re-starts for next year.

Sandra said...

Thank you, Andreja.

Sandra said...

We are going to be almost 90 tomorrow, Ivy! That's unheard of. I have found cats to be so much more demanding and difficult than my dogs ever dreamed of being!

Sandra said...

I think it's in the tortie nature to have strong opinions, Pixie. Bagheera feels like she's settling for second best.

Sandra said...

Free gas? That's a big bonus, Sue. It is a very good reason to stay put. Age has caught up to Mark as far as gaining weight. I'm sneakily cutting him back. I used to watch him clear a buffet and not gain a pound!

Sandra said...

It's a struggle, AC!

Sandra said...

I like them, too, Miss Merry. It's difficult to change eating habits but beneficial. There's always going to be detours. 😉

Sandra said...

Mark will eat just about anything put in front of him, Far Side.

Sandra said...

Her cat, Cora, is hilarious.Denise. Huge personality.My own tortie is currently demanding my attention. I really like wintertime food, beef stew included. I'm making a chuck roast tonight. A full freezer is a comforting feeling.

Sandra said...

Thank you, Linda.

Sandra said...

Your porch plants have thrived, Lori. The house looks so empty every spring when the plants go back outside. I turn on my desk heater or one of the oil filled radiators when I need to.

Sandra said...

I've never gone this far into October without turning it on. Says a lot about the changing climate, Dora.

Sandra said...

It does cut back the cost of heating, Cheerful.

Sandra said...

The older I get the more I appreciate leftovers, Dorothy.

Sandra said...

We don't drive much so the cost of gas is hitting us in the higher prices for everything, Val, more than filling our car. We leave my diesel truck in the garage. I preorder propane but it is costing more. I really haven't needed to turn on the furnace, either.