Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

More About Food


What can I say. It's my life. Yesterday I took a gallon of milk and turned it into ricotta. 


For slightly under $4 I get three containers of ricotta and four of whey. The whey can be frozen for use in baking when the weather turns cool.


Why so much ricotta you may wonder. One reason is these lovely things are starting to become ready to pick. I will also make a ricotta cake and perhaps ricotta gnocchi. Mark had not eaten eggplant before knowing me, being open to trying anything, he found he really likes it. Eggplant involtini and parmesan are on the menu. Mark loves eggplant "meatballs" so....... I'll likely indulge him.


Monday I roasted a small baking sheet of tomatoes. Last evening we had them for dinner.


 That's the skinny from the worlds end.

41 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I enjoy ricotta but have never considered making my own, so you're doing do and then having such delicious sounding plans for the results are to be applauded, Sandra. The eggplant look wonderful!

Anvilcloud said...

Yum from this end. :)

Harry said...

Looks delicious!

Boud said...

Wow, so much ricotta. And wondering where there's a gallon of milk for under $4.

Val Ewing said...

We have milk under $4 in the dairy state.
I'd eat eggplant too, I do know I loved it made in a few different ways.
Yum. I need someone around who likes to cook!

The Happy Whisk said...

The eggplant looks so good and it's not even baked yet. LOVE that you made your own. Do you ever eat it in a bowl with Strawberry or raspberry jam?

"Tommy" said...

Hmm, yes, ma'am, stuffed eggplant with crabmeat stuffing and a light Creole sauce does me good. I am glad you are featuring the almighty Eggplant

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Your Ricotta looks delicious, Sandra!

Dreaming said...

I think eggplant is one of the prettiest vegetables...and they come in so many different varieties. I must say, I'm not a fan. I guess I haven't had the right recipes! Yum - ricotta!

Lori Skoog said...

Fine dining....as usual. You sure are ambitious these days. How do you make ricotta?

Pixie said...

That ricotta looks very good but milk for $4, lucky you. 4 litres here costs $7 and Jack loves his milk, and his cheese.
Now I want to try making the ricotta.

Lori said...

Everything looks really delicious.

nick said...

Ricotta is very nice in lasagna. I love egg plant/aubergine too.

Gill - That British Woman said...

you have been busy..........

Sandra said...

Ricotta is so simple to make. Give it a try, Dorothy.

Sandra said...

Mark thinks so, too, AC!

Sandra said...

Hi, Harry. Thank you!

Sandra said...

You can buy a gallon of whole milk at Aldi for under $4, Boud.

Sandra said...

Maybe that's where Aldi gets it, Val. I need to work harder at interesting you in cooking!

Sandra said...

I never have, Ivy, but I will now!

Sandra said...

Oh, my. That is a new one to me, Tommy. I want it.

Sandra said...

Thank you, Linda.

Sandra said...

The thing with eggplant is it takes on the flavor of the other ingredients, so maybe you haven't had the right recipes, Dreaming.

Sandra said...

It's simple, Lori. Whole milk, a little cream if you want, lemon juice or vinegar and salt it desired. I don't follow a recipe so you'd do best looking up how to make it. Very simple and then Gary would have whey to make bread!

Sandra said...

Simple, simple, simple, Pixie. Lots of recipes online. Easier than me trying yo tell you how. Do you have an Aldi nearby? That's where I buy milk.

Sandra said...

It's always nice to get a compliment from another cook, Lori.

Sandra said...

I like ricotta in lasagna but I like a béchamel the best. I do use ricotta in eggplant lasagna. Very good. I so like aubergine better than eggplant!

Sandra said...

Very simple projects. That's about all I take on these days, Gill.

Jane said...

That ricotta looks really good!

Sandra said...

Thank you, Jane.

Ami said...

I have never made ricotta either. I buy one of those plastic tubs when I make lasagna. Eggplant is a beautiful vegetable but it's not a favorite of mine. I never knew it was called eggplant until I saw photos of its beginnings. Very cool.

DeniseinVA said...

I am very impressed with your ricotta making and your eggplant, what better can you get than fresh out of your garden? Your meal looks delicious!

Sandra said...

It's so simple to make but there are some in the tubs that are simply milk and an acid, Ami. They are one of those things you either like or you don't.

Sandra said...

I look forward to my eggplant from the garden every year, Denise. I roasted a small tray of tomatoes yesterday. They are slow to ripen.

Pixie said...

Aldi doesn't exist in Canada

Boud said...

The question was rhetorical! Nearest Aldi is two towns away, special arrangement to get there, so it's okay, I'll live!

e said...

Your food looks beautiful...

Granny Sue said...

.Well, go you! I am impressed. I wish i liked eggplant, but so far only eggplant parmesan is what I like. Yours look gorgeous.

Sandra said...

That's too bad. They are a good chain.

Sandra said...

Thank you. e.

Sandra said...

If you like eggplant part, Sue, you would like just about any Italian eggplant recipes.