Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, August 24, 2026

Moments


So, another weekend is behind us. One more to go and we enter the season of autumn. I look forward to tolerable temperatures. Which we have actually had the past few days. Yippee.

Speaking of autumn, I have slowly started my annual ritual of preparing food for the winter. I bought what I thought were fennel seed plants but which happily turned out to be fennel bulbs. Fennel has been difficult to find and when I do the cost stops me. There were four plants, one died, leaving me three beautiful bulbs to pull on Saturday. I then made fennel frond pesto. I think I may be happy.


I put some of the pesto to use with last evenings' dinner. I have three thriving basil plants which I will start turning into pesto and frozen cubes for cooking.Those tomatoes were picked from my water tank garden that morning. Something else making me feel happy.


This morning I had another moment of happy when I saw Tabby calmly observing his domain. He and his three siblings were born in the barn to a stray mama on Mother's Day, 2015. Two boys. Two girls. Jigs became a permanent inside cat in 2016 after an injury. Tabs and his brother split their time between inside and outside. Mona wants nothing to do with the house.


 Seek and hold your moments wherever you may find them.

29 comments:

Lori said...

I love getting pesto out of the freezer in the winter to add to a dish. It's just so delicious. I remember when I was a child, my grandmother would pull out some preserved summer strawberries or corn cut from the cob and frozen and it was like a wonderful winter treat.

"Tommy" said...

As always, my dear Blogger Friend From Afar, I envy your cooking skills and the presentation of all your dishes. Glad that Autumn is on its way to y'all.

Miss Merry said...

Your recipes always look so fabulous! Autumn will be very welcome after this hot summer.

Anvilcloud said...

We've had cooler days, but the insects are voracious. Not so much in town, but just get out a piece in the wilds. Yikes!

Lori Skoog said...

You are so good in the food department! 'tis the season and you are going to be busy. Cooler here too,

CheerfulMonk said...

I'm glad things are going so well right now. Plenty of things to be happy about. 😊

Pixie said...

Peaceful and a plentiful harvest. What more can you ask for?

DeniseinVA said...

That’s great Sandra, and your meal looks delicious. It’s interesting about those dear cats. Tabby looks a little like my childhood cat.

Sandra said...

I know what you mean, Lori. I freeze a lot of pesto and basil cubes. My ancient apple tree has stopped producing so I don't have fruit to freeze anymore. Now I want some strawberries.

Sandra said...

Don't tell anyone, Tommy, but much of my cooking skill is boiling water. 😉

Sandra said...

That's kind of you to say, Miss Merry. The past few days have been a welcome break from the sauna.

Sandra said...

It's been too dry for mosquitoes, AC, but the black flies have been awful. I can't sit outside without being swarmed.

Sandra said...

Yes, there will be a lot of tomato roasting for awhile, Lori. And use of the food processor.

Sandra said...

Herbs have done really well this year, Cheerful. It's obvious eggplant is Mediterranean as my two plants have flourished in the heat.

Sandra said...

Don't get me started, Pixie. 😀

Sandra said...

I've gone from the high of 7 dogs to 6 cats and a raccoon, Denise. Something happened to my life.

Sandy said...

I always hate to see summer end. I hate when the flowers stop blooming and my yard is almost at that point. Not a fan of fall, mostly because I really HATE winter and I know it's coming too soon. Didn't know you could make peso out of other things beyond pine nuts. Your dinner looks yummy.

Granny Sue said...

I wish i liked pesto, but I just don't. So sad because I have a ton of basil in the garden.
Also have fennel ; I thought I didn't like it but this morning in the garden I found the smell of the seedheads quite nice, so I may want to try a recipe or two with them.
That bowl of food looks quite delicious!

nick said...

I don't look forward to autumn at all. We never have a spectacular summer to look back on. Our summer consists of a a few sunny days in between regular downpours.

Sandra said...

I don't like summer anymore, Sandy. I like the beauty but the heat and humidity don't allow enjoyment. I have always liked fall and winter. I like the coziness of winter. Pignoli, pine nuts, are too expensive and other nuts work well and can add to the flavor of the pesto.

Sandra said...

You can make pesto out of a lot of things, Sue. Parsley, celery leaves, fennel fronds.....even dried tomatoes, pesto rosso. Give it a try.

Sandra said...

Summer has lost its glow for me, nick. Too hot and humid now. I like fall. I also like winter. We could use some of that rain.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I am a true fan of the cooler temperatures. Our days are finally getting slighter cooler here too in Southern Ontario.

Sandra said...

I really like autumn, Gill.

Mary Kirkland said...

The food you made looks so good.

Sandra said...

Thank you Mary. Thank you also for the visit.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Your food looks delicious, Sandra. And I love your last photo of the sweet cat. The quote at the end is very inspiring.

Sandra said...

He is a good boy, Linda. Much more mellow than Gatto.

DeniseinVA said...

6 cats and a raccoon? Can I move in with you? Grinning ear to ear here.