Right?
Mark often tells me about one person or another when he's out and about who holds up a line or some such thing, that it was an old guy. Almost every time it is followed by "I think I am older than him". I spent most of my 20s studying and working in geriatrics. A common theme amongst the people was that inside they were not old.
It's part of the human condition, and not a bad part, I think. We, hopefully, gain wisdom and discretion as we age, but aren't we still 'us'? I still walk through the house breaking into song. I like to sing. I can't dance anymore but that doesn't stop me from making some ridiculous moves to music. I still groan at bad jokes as well as make them myself. I am me with more temperance.
12 comments:
My husband does the same thing, and I have to remind him that he is probably older than they are. Aging is better than the alternative right now. Staying young at heart is the key. I heard Morgan Freeman say that he asked Clint Eastwood how he does it and his reply was to never let the old man in. I think that about sums it all up. Have a great weekend.
It's strange how life adds up and makes us old.
Yes, I find more and more my appearance is at odds with who I am. But younger people can't believe it.
In the car yesterday as a passenger, I saw myself in the side mirror. I wondered who that person was.
Me too. My body may be gradually falling to bits but inside I still feel like a teenager. It's a very frustrating divergence.
I think you're right.
I refer to this era as the 'half past give a shit' time. My face started sliding off years ago, lol, and I no longer worry over how I look. Oh, I shower and do my hair every day. If I have to leave the house, I put on actual clothing, not pajama pants.
I do feel the same on the inside. Maybe(?) a little smarter than I used to be. But I'm also able to still shoot myself in the foot. I mess up a lot.
LOL! Absolutely! I will be 70 next month and I can feel it! :)
We have arrived!
My husband says the same thing! And is wrong, too. At least when I say I went to school with someone he usually says - no way - you look so much younger than them. (It isn't true but it makes me feel better).
Yes, I have felt the same inside...but a bit tempered over time. It's a shock to realize how fragile I am these days. But I am glad I still am just me inside. ;)
You are a youngster!! 😊
And you wonder why I play with Legos and toys and play hike and seek in the woods.
My father told me never to lose the child within.
Post a Comment