Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Do You See It?

A lone bright red leaf. A leaf blowing the heralding horn of Fall. In Minnesota Fall requires a capital letter, as it is an important time of the year. Beautiful, crisp air devoid of humidity. Vibrant foliage, horses hooves crunching upon leaf strewn bridle paths in the park. Flocks of geese passing over as they leave Canada, masses of migrating song birds heading for more temperate climes. Crisp, tart apples fresh from the tree, pumpkins waiting to become pie, muffins and bread.

click to enlarge

A bustle of activity as we busy ourselves readying our homes, our gardens, ourselves for the next season. People seem more pleasant in the fall. There is something comforting about enjoying the shortening, waning days of mild weather, all the while anticipating the time when the earth pulls up its cover of snow and slumbers for the winter. In the meantime, we have Fall. Wood smoke scents the air, frost embraces our land on a softly lit morning, chilly but nice. 

Bonfires, fireplaces, bubbling stew, homemade bread. It's hard to see anything but good in the Fall. The horses begin to look like plush animals as they grow the coat that will keep them warm over the harsh winter. But we don't dwell on why they are so soft and fluffy. We simply bury our noses in the soft warmth of their bodies and breath in the wonderful smell that is them.

In Minnesota, we savor Fall like a fine, aged wine. We sip it, rolling it upon our tongue, swallowing slowly. If we savor, it may last just a wee bit longer. We may hold off the winds of winter one more day, perhaps one more week. We don't contemplate why, for that would mar the glory of Fall; it would bring to mind something we try to ignore, nor matter how long the years have repeated themselves; how many times we have been to this dance. We hug Fall to ourselves, attempting to keep it with us this time. Just this once, let us keep it.








16 comments:

Homer and Queen said...

Already????

Sandra said...

Queen, this IS MN! But the crisp, cool days aren't here yet. 80's today and through Wed.

I saw this leaf way across the yard while I was putting Zing out. Way up in the tree, but I saw it. Those trees don't usually turn until the middle of Oct.

Ganeida said...

I love autumn. It's my favourite time of the year. Pity winter comes straight after it...!!!

Judy said...

That was the most beautiful description of Fall I have ever heard....you make me long for Autumn and especially for the warm scent of a horse.

Deb said...

I envy you and your love of fall. I dislike winter so...the shorter days of fall make me sad..it's coming. I know I need to live in the present...

Anonymous said...

I love autumn too, it seems early over here too :-)

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

I've always loved autumn - but after I read you describe it, I love it even more. You are an incredible writer.

Sandra said...

Ganeida, remember my photos from winter. You & I share the same sentiment, it is a pity!

Thank you Judy. Anytime you want to smell a horse or smell like a horse, you can get on a plane. I'll pick you up!

Debra, you need to embrace these days like an ardent lover! They are the best, so we ignore the obvious. Winter.

Jo, the weather is unseasonably warm, but the foliage is turning early. I don't know why.

Bonnie, I can only imagine how beautiful your property is in fall. It must be breathtaking. You are very kind to say that.

Memories Of Mine said...

Oh Sandra, your post made me long for Autumn not only that but I could hear the dried leaves crackle under horses hooves as I read.

If one can suffer Season sickness (like being home sick)then I just have.

Jean L. said...

I, too, love the fall. Although there is so much beauty in the new growth of spring, I have to say that I associate it with mud. You are so right, Sandra. What is NOT to love about autumn!

Sandra said...

Liss, what a poignant thought, season sickness. I know you are in spring and I know that's a beautiful season in your hemisphere.

Jean, I yearn for spring in Feb., but I always hate the reality of it in April. Boot sucking, tendon popping mud!

Lorac said...

We are seeing the odd tree in colour and the nights are cooling. We are getting some magnificent weather for a change. Fall is my favorite time of year, hopefully not too short. You have done autumn well with your thoughtful description! Frost on the pumpkin soon!

Just Jules said...

We have whole trees that have decided to stand out amongst the others and forced their colors on us early!

Sandra said...

Lorac, the frost on the pumpkin has always meant the flies on the horses are gone! That's all good with me.

Jules, I think the northern tier had a very hard time of it this summer. It was a good summer down here. I like it a little cooler, but I think up there it was more than cool.

Britwife said...

This brought a smile to my face. I. ADORE. FALL!!! :)

Sandra said...

Me Too!